Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

physical or mental exertion; labor; attempt; organized operation
directory
sneakers
effort
offensive
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
tough luck | the Craftsman pliers is a hardware tool or the craftsman pliers are...
listening exercisestell a friend
Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:54 am   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Hi,

Could I suppose "Newgate's knocker" in "As black as Newgate's knocker" is or was very black? Is this idiom still in circulation, say, in UK?

Thank you!

Haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:59 am   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

I've never heard it in my life, although of course I understand it. I'd just have no idea what Newgate's knocker is supposed to be.

An explanation of the term is here:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/36500.html
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 17:02 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Haihao wrote:
Hi,

Could I suppose "Newgate's knocker" in "As black as Newgate's knocker" is or was very black? Is this idiom still in circulation, say, in UK?

Thank you!

Haihao

Hi Haihao,

It's the first time I hear this idiom, but it makes sense. A 'knocker' is a knock-out punch or a woman's breast (usually big enough to knock you out). Newgate could be anybody (Smith, O'Sullivan's nephew, David when he fought Goliath), and his punch probably causes black eyes.

I thought I'd also heard the expression in baseball before, and here's what I found.
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 18:38 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Now, see, I would have assumed it was the thing on the door that you raise and lower in order to knock. Isn't there a lot of coal there? Or am I thinking of New Castle? If I'm right about the coal, then their hands would be quite dark from handling the coal, so the things that were handled would be black too. Is that even remotely possible?
Barb_D
I'm here quite often ;-)

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 18:55 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Barb_D wrote:
Isn't there a lot of coal there? Or am I thinking of New Castle?
ROTFL :lol:

Exactly the same sort of confusion hit me, Barb! I knew there was some sort of idiom with "New" and "coal", but initially couldn't come up with "Newcastle".

At any rate, I'm not familiar with the "Newgate" idiom either, but Ms Google did find this for me:
http://www.panicattack.org.uk/aztour/02.html

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 19:17 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Yankee wrote:
Barb_D wrote:
Isn't there a lot of coal there? Or am I thinking of New Castle?
ROTFL :lol:

Exactly the same sort of confusion hit me, Barb! I knew there was some sort of idiom with "New" and "coal", but initially couldn't come up with "Newcastle".

At any rate, I'm not familiar with the "Newgate" idiom either, but Ms Google did find this for me:
http://www.panicattack.org.uk/aztour/02.html

That's amazing! Knock on wood, there's doorbells these days :P
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 19:41 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Funny you should mention that, Ralf. We don't have a knocker or a doorbell. So, people literally have to knock directly on the door. That can sometimes be tough to hear, though. Fortunately, we have installed something even better than a knocker or a doorbell for alerting us that there are visitors at the door. It's known as a "dog". :mrgreen:

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 20:13 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Okay, well at least I had the right type of knocker and knew it wasn't a woman's boob!

I have found several models of "dog" to be an effective visitor detection device.

I like New Castle Brown Ale. DOes that count for anything?
Barb_D
I'm here quite often ;-)

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:13 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Barb_D wrote:
I like New Castle Brown Ale. DOes that count for anything?

It does indeed. It can raise the hair on a dog :D
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:39 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

"As black as Newgate's knocker" can still sometimes be heard in the UK; though mostly from people in their 70s or over, from the London area. Sometimes it's transformed into something like "Noogie's knocker"; it tends to turn up in a Cockney or East London accent.

I would say (tentatively) that "as black as N's k." can have implications of grimness; while its more popular rival "as black as the Ace of Spades" tends to refer only to colour.

A "Newgate knocker" was also a kind of lovelock, popular among street traders, etc. in the 19th century.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:49 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

MrPedantic wrote:
"As black as Newgate's knocker" can still sometimes be heard in the UK; though mostly from people in their 70s or over, from the London area. Sometimes it's transformed into something like "Noogie's knocker"; it tends to turn up in a Cockney or East London accent.

I would say (tentatively) that "as black as N's k." can have implications of grimness; while its more popular rival "as black as the Ace of Spades" tends to refer only to colour.

A "Newgate knocker" was also a kind of lovelock, popular among street traders, etc. in the 19th century.

MrP

I did some googling for the knocker phrase and got 206 hits. The Phrase Finder provides us with quite a few as black as... phrases, but the most common 'as black as coal' simile is not among them.
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:59 pm   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Yankee wrote:
Funny you should mention that, Ralf. We don't have a knocker or a doorbell. So, people literally have to knock directly on the door. That can sometimes be tough to hear, though. Fortunately, we have installed something even better than a knocker or a doorbell for alerting us that there are visitors at the door. It's known as a "dog". :mrgreen:

Hi Amy,

I'm a big Martin Scorsese fan, and I recently watched his fameless/nonfamous debut Who's that knocking at my Door. Ever seen it?
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #13 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 0:58 am   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Thank you all!

Just a few more I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on:

1. As black as thunder. Is it because the sky becomes dark or black when a thunder is produced?
2. As black as your hat. What kind of hat? A cowboy's?

Thank you!

Haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #14 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 am   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Hi Haihao
Haihao wrote:
1. As black as thunder. Is it because the sky becomes dark or black when a thunder is produced?
I imagine that probably has something to do with it.

Haihao wrote:
2. As black as your hat. What kind of hat? A cowboy's?
That's another expression I'm not familiar with. Somehow I seriously doubt there is a connection with a cowboy hat. It would seem more likely to be a reference to a top hat:
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=top+hat&btnG=Search+Images

Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker #15 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 am   Idiom: As black as Newgate's knocker

Thank you Amy again, indeed.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

tough luck | the Craftsman pliers is a hardware tool or the craftsman pliers are...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
deletion of "the"Modern EnglishA group of blondes blocked my way when I was cycling.How to say "Is it ok?" but refers to the past eventI go back, I get back, & You come backIs this sentence correct?Top or tops?Usage of "times without number"has gone vs. wenthelping or load?Which one is accepted in these word?Must you...? /Do you have to...?Help me!