Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

percentage of profits earned by a salesperson
advice
chore
mission
commission
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Conditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
take care of ... responsible for ...in charge of... | Expression: "Hey, look at that building..."
listening exercisestell a friend
Conditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.) #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 pm   Conditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.)

Hi,

Could anyone Please check these sentences?

a) If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.

b) If I were not sick,wouldn't I have taken this medicine?

Please help me understand this type of grammar structure.
Crazy
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

conditional questions #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:50 pm   conditional questions

Hi Crazy,

Here are my suggestions:

a) If I were sick, I would take this medicine. (conditional II)
b) If were not sick, why would I take this medicine? (conditional II)

For more information on the conditionals, please read on condition.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Break for a smoke
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
conditional questions #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 18:02 pm   conditional questions

Hi Torsten,

Thanks a lot for replying.

My first confusion is with "If I were sick”. Dose it mean "If I get sick”, “If I got sick" or "If I will get sick"?

I kindly request you to please help me understand this.
Crazy
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

conditional questions #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 18:47 pm   conditional questions

Hi Crazy

Try looking at it this way:
"(If) I were sick" is basically just the theoretical/unreal version of "(It is true that) I am sick".

Saying "I am sick" refers to the real state of my health in the present. It is a real condition now.

Saying "If I were sick" does not refer to the real state of my health at present. Instead, it refers to a condition that is theoretical/unreal/not true at the moment.

conditional questions #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 20:52 pm   conditional questions

Quote:
If I were sick, I would take this medicine.

3 possible meanings:

I'm not sick at this moment and that's why I'm not taking this medicine.
I'm not sick at this moment, but if I were/was, I would take this medicine (now).
If I were/was sick at any time in the future, I would take this medicine (then).
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

conditional questions #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:59 pm   conditional questions

2. If I were not sick, wouldn't I have taken this medicine?

This doesn't quite make sense; but you might say:

3. If I weren't sick, would I have taken this medicine?

A schoolboy simulating sickness might say such a thing, indignantly: he took the medicine to prove he was sick.

(In BrE, I would think "If I wasn't" more usual than "If I weren't", in this kind of context.)

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Conditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.) #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:18 am   Conditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.)

Quote:
3. If I weren't sick, would I have taken this medicine?

A schoolboy simulating sickness might say such a thing, indignantly: he took the medicine to prove he was sick.

Or a closet drug addict on being accused of abuse or any other person who is "abusing" drugs/medicines.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

take care of ... responsible for ...in charge of... | Expression: "Hey, look at that building..."
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
who take part in his teachingsConcord: there's/there are + plural nounSentence: Do you have a budget for this solution...I can't reach you...Gerund (Smoking has been banned in Asian Countries.)Deictic expressionsPunctuation for questions (How can a bank have exposure to a bond insurer who...)If you are not/don't be with somebody (_) your own age, you will regret it later.Good officesreach a point vs get to the pointmeaning of "get a hand"economic vs economical"never went out" - is non-standard English?