commonplace; ordinary; usual; customary; habitual
routine
equivalent
expensive
bottom

Deictic expressions

Expression: "Hey, look at that building..." | Gerund (Smoking has been banned in Asian Countries.)
Deictic expressions #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:00 pm   Deictic expressions

I tried to understand the meaning of deictic expressions through the internet sources but could not. Could you please explain to me what deictic expressions are?

Deictic expressions #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:23 pm   Deictic expressions

http://www.sil.org/linguistics/glossaryoflinguisticterms/WhatIsDeixis.htm
Molly

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Deictic expressions #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:12 pm   Deictic expressions

Tom wrote:

Hello Tom,

Deictic expressions relate the content of an utterance to the speaker, the addressee, and the time and place of utterance.

Thus if I say to you:

1. Come over here and look at this!

"here" refers to where I am as I speak, "come" refers to a direction that depends on where "here" is, and "this" refers to e.g. something I am pointing at. They are therefore deictic.

Cf.

2. Yesterday he gave me a gold watch.

Here, the meaning of "yesterday" depends on the time of speaking, and "me" depends on the identity of the speaker. Moreover, "gave" is also a deictic element, as it locates the act in relation to the time of speaking. "A gold watch" however isn't. (Gold watches are gold watches.)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Deictic expressions #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:26 pm   Deictic expressions

and "this" refers to e.g. something I am pointing at.

Though pointing is not always the case.
Molly

Deictic expressions #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:30 pm   Deictic expressions

Molly wrote:

Though pointing is not always the case.

Indeed. (Hence the "e.g.".)

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Deictic expressions #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:34 am   Deictic expressions

MrPedantic wrote:
Molly wrote:

Though pointing is not always the case.

Indeed. (Hence the "e.g.".)

MrP

I saw it. I was just wondering how many students would guess the other e.g.s.
Molly

Pull the plugwho take part in his teachingsConcord: there's/there are + plural nounSentence: Do you have a budget for this solution...take care of ... responsible for ...in charge of...I can't reach you...Punctuation for questions (How can a bank have exposure to a bond insurer who...)If you are not/don't be with somebody (_) your own age, you will regret it later.Good officesConditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.)reach a point vs get to the point"never went out" - is non-standard English?about "it's time you sold that old car" - the story continues