Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

commonplace; ordinary; usual; customary; habitual
routine
equivalent
expensive
bottom
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Deictic expressions

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: "Hey, look at that building..." | Gerund (Smoking has been banned in Asian Countries.)
listening exercisestell a friend
Deictic expressions #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:00 pm   Deictic expressions

Hi

I tried to understand the meaning of deictic expressions through the internet sources but could not. Could you please explain to me what deictic expressions are?

Regards,

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Deictic expressions #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:23 pm   Deictic expressions

http://www.sil.org/linguistics/glossaryoflinguisticterms/WhatIsDeixis.htm
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Deictic expressions #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:12 pm   Deictic expressions

Tom wrote:
Hi

I tried to understand the meaning of deictic expressions through the internet sources but could not. Could you please explain to me what deictic expressions are?

Regards,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Deictic expressions relate the content of an utterance to the speaker, the addressee, and the time and place of utterance.

Thus if I say to you:

1. Come over here and look at this!

"here" refers to where I am as I speak, "come" refers to a direction that depends on where "here" is, and "this" refers to e.g. something I am pointing at. They are therefore deictic.

Cf.

2. Yesterday he gave me a gold watch.

Here, the meaning of "yesterday" depends on the time of speaking, and "me" depends on the identity of the speaker. Moreover, "gave" is also a deictic element, as it locates the act in relation to the time of speaking. "A gold watch" however isn't. (Gold watches are gold watches.)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Deictic expressions #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:26 pm   Deictic expressions

Quote:
and "this" refers to e.g. something I am pointing at.

Though pointing is not always the case.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Deictic expressions #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:30 pm   Deictic expressions

Molly wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. (Hence the "e.g.".)

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Deictic expressions #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:34 am   Deictic expressions

MrPedantic wrote:
Molly wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. (Hence the "e.g.".)

MrP

I saw it. I was just wondering how many students would guess the other e.g.s.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: "Hey, look at that building..." | Gerund (Smoking has been banned in Asian Countries.)
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Pull the plugwho take part in his teachingsConcord: there's/there are + plural nounSentence: Do you have a budget for this solution...take care of ... responsible for ...in charge of...I can't reach you...Punctuation for questions (How can a bank have exposure to a bond insurer who...)If you are not/don't be with somebody (_) your own age, you will regret it later.Good officesConditional questions (If I were sick, I would have taken this medicine.)reach a point vs get to the point"never went out" - is non-standard English?about "it's time you sold that old car" - the story continues