Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to stance
scan
pose
envision
overlap
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "falling-out"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
first thing today morning vs. first thing tomorrow morning | 'pen name' vs 'nickname'
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning of "falling-out" #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am   meaning of "falling-out"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #465 "English Slang Idioms (207)", question 9

"We are not on speaking terms at the moment. We had a .........-out over the decision of whether or not to put our parents in an old folks' home or to have them move in with one of us. My brother wanted to send them to a home and I didn't," Mark told Suzy.

(a) backing
(b) falling
(c) leaning
(d) bending

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #465 "English Slang Idioms (207)", answer 9

"We are not on speaking terms at the moment. We had a falling-out over the decision of whether or not to put our parents in an old folks' home or to have them move in with one of us. My brother wanted to send them to a home and I didn't," Mark told Suzy.

Correct answer: (b) falling

Your answer was: correct

why falling?

Rembo
Rembo

meaning of "falling-out" #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 25, 2008 16:02 pm   meaning of "falling-out"

A falling-out means a row (British ;) ), an argument.
When you and someone fall out, you're not on speaking terms anymore because you argued about something.
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
first thing today morning vs. first thing tomorrow morning | 'pen name' vs 'nickname'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
suit vs. fitShouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?why generating and what does this context mean?"Let's eat out for a change" vs "Let's eat out in a change"Shouldn't it be '...helped him blow off some steam...'?Idiom: looking for a fair shake"responsibility for" vs "responsibility to"meaning of "a fly-by-night outfit"meaning of flooredwhat is factor conditions?"It's seems" vs "It seems"is sales a debit or a credit?Expression "felt like to doing"