intersection; crossing; connection
junction
destination
foundation
form

Idiom: looking for a fair shake

'pen name' vs 'nickname' | "responsibility for" vs "responsibility to"
Idiom: looking for a fair shake #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:07 am   Idiom: looking for a fair shake

"I am going to have to quit my job here. I came here looking for a fair ......... and that isn't happening. Every time I say something to the boss's kid about the safety violations he is perpetuating, he runs off to his dad and tells him that I am bullying him. Then his dad gets mad at me and tells me to leave him alone. I can't work as the safety officer here without support from management," Bob told Lewis.

(a) hair
(b) weight
(c) shake
(d) rattle

"I am going to have to quit my job here. I came here looking for a fair shake and that isn't happening. Every time I say something to the boss's kid about the safety violations he is perpetuating, he runs off to his dad and tells him that I am bullying him. Then his dad gets mad at me and tells me to leave him alone. I can't work as the safety officer here without support from management," Bob told Lewis.

Correct answer: (c) shake
_________________________

why shake?

Rembo
Rembo

Idiom: looking for a fair shake #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 am   Idiom: looking for a fair shake

.
It is an idiom. From an 1848 dictionary:

FAIR SHAKE. A fair trade; a satisfactory bargain or exchange. A New England vulgarism.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'suit vs. fitShouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?why generating and what does this context mean?"Let's eat out for a change" vs "Let's eat out in a change"Shouldn't it be '...helped him blow off some steam...'?meaning of "falling-out"meaning of "a fly-by-night outfit"meaning of flooredis sales a debit or a credit?Expression "felt like to doing"what is wee?