widespread ruin; destruction
increment
devastation
impostor
paradox

TOEFL® essay sample: Novels and fiction

TOEFL® essay: Some people belive that students should be given one long vacation | TOEFL® essay samples: Children should be strongly pushed to achieve their maximum
TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 15:41 pm   TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction

Hello! Could you please evaluate my essay?

Some people claim that reading novels is a waste of time. They say that reading nonfiction works is more beneficial. Do you agree? Support your opinion.

Reading books is always a part of person’s life. Books, poems, articles, novels, classic literature and others satisfy people’s desire to learn the world. Today there are all kinds of literature exist and this causes some arguments between people. Question of book choice seems to be very relevant nowadays.
Some people think that reading novels is a waste of time. They consider non fiction to be more beneficial. Personal I don’t support this opinion. I think both types of literature have to be taken into great consideration for reading.

Firstly, Novels are good to read because people get richer in their minds. Authors in a very indirect way want to say a lot of important things through their books, and usually it is all about people’s live and feelings. That is why many readers find in the novels answers to their personal questions. For example, how to love and to be loved, how to overcome life’s difficulties. Reader won’t never meet this great opportunity in non-fiction. At the same time, non-fiction gives people encyclopedic knowledge about various fields of study. Scientific papers, technology and financial trends, dictionaries, and others are built on precise direct information which reader can devour daily. In fact, non-fiction turns out to be very beneficial. Students appreciate all resources of non-fiction, because by studying the information from academic books, and others they improve their skills and hence are able to score better at University.

Second reason why I consider novels a value to human being is that novels bring pleasure and relax people. I am sure almost everybody in their lives read at least one book just for fun. Indeed, good literature inspire people to think positively, to look at the world at a different angle. Some research from local college proved that theory. People were asked the question “What was the purpose of reading novel ?”. The research showed unbelievable outcomes. Most of the interviewers were readying before bed in the evening to relax and forget the stress they experienced all daylong being at work. I believe it is a reason to think novel relaxes people, therefore reading novels is nor a waste of time.

Finally, Novels are worth to read, because cultural value associated with novels develop and maintain reading abilities. In the country were I grew up, Pushkin’s literature brought us great knowledge of history, emotions. His books force people to think about important questions, such as death, birth, love, sorrow. Generations have been raised on his poems. Still his books are considered to be the most significant in a way they educate people.
However, we can’t be blind to the fact, that non-fiction also provide us with good knowledge. Moreover, non-fiction contain relevant database, which is very helpful in searching specific topics. For example, I would like to learn how flowering plants are developed. I can google it over the Internet or open Encyclopedia and find all answers there.

To sum up, both novels and non-fiction have benefits for people, We don’t have to neglect novels as well as non-fiction. In my opinion, all the good points should be taken into consideration before people decide either to avoid one of them or except it. Both enrich people lives in one way or another.

TOEFL listening lectures: How do botanists define a seed?
Montoshka

Location: Russia

TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 am   TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction

paragraph 1, last sectences: personal -> personally
Mohammadrio

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemLearn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:58 am   TOEFL essay sample: Novels and fiction

hi. It is very good that you comparing 2 options giving advantages of each but i think you should support only one option eather novels or non-fiction.
Irinafomina

TOEFL® essay: You have enough money to buy either a house or a business.TOEFL® sample essay: stress and its causesPractice question: Webs or some kinds of software where I can practice TOEFL®?TOEFL® essay example: Some people like living in the small town, others like...TOEFL® essay: Should high school students wear uniforms?How can they rate our speaking? (TOEFL® exam)Any TOEFL® test takers on july 11? Southeast Asia or Asia takers?TOEFL® essay: People attend college or university for many different reasonsTOEFL® essay topic: When people succeed, it is because of hard workWhen should I receive TOEFL® scores?Only TOEFL® no GRE®TOEFL® essay: should students do some of the talking in class...Toffel essay: Some people think that they can learn better by themselves than...