characterized; by or occupying a particular place
local
commercial
found
brief

Usage of "should have been"

Distinguish the words: thorny, testing, uphill, steep | What does spreadsheets mean?
Usage of "should have been" #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:55 am   Usage of "should have been"

Could you please tell me what dose "should have been" mean in this sentence?

"I am sitting here without promotion, a promotion that should have been mine."

Please explain.
Crazy

"should have been" #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:18 pm   "should have been"

Hi Crazy

I interpret that sentence to mean that there was a job opening at the speaker's company in the (recent) past, and that the speaker expected to be promoted to this better position. However, someone else got the job/promotion. The speaker was not promoted, and he/she thinks this was not correct/justified.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "should have been" #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:51 pm   Usage of "should have been"

Hi Yankee,

Thank you very much for replying. I think I have understood it almost 100%. Can you please give me any other example sentence using "should have been"? It would be of great help.

Thanks once again.
Crazy

Usage of "should have been" #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 19:29 pm   Usage of "should have been"

Hi Crazy

There are a number of different ways to use 'should have been' or 'should have done' (i.e. should have + past participle).

For example:

If you attended a really great party but your friend did not, and you think that your friend would have enjoyed it as much as you did, you might say this:
- You should have been there. You would have had a wonderful time!

If someone did not do something that they were obliged or expected to do (apologize or call, for example), you might say this:
- You should have apologized for doing that.
- You should have called ahead of time to let them know you were coming!

If something was expected to happen, but didn't, you might hear something like this:
- He should have been here hours ago. I wonder where he is.

You will sometimes hear 'should have been/done' used to express what you expect this way:
- MrX: OK, we have finished doing A, B, C, D and F.
- MrY: Great! That should have solved our production problems for good.
(i.e. MrY now expects that the production problems have been solved.)

You may also hear 'should have been/done' used when you expect a confirmation that something had a particular outcome in the past. This usage would be similar to 'must have been/done' (this usage might not exist in BE, however.)

For an interesting discussion of 'should have been', have a look here:
http://www.englishpage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9933
.
_________________

Usage of "should have been" #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:33 am   Usage of "should have been"

Hi Yankee,

Thank you very very much for replying. What a reply! I love the way you explained it to me. It is really excellent, simple and detailed. I am really grateful to you.

Thanks once again for taking time to help me.

Best wishes :D
Crazy

So nice picterIs this sentence all right? (No sooner had the train...)The word 'concinnity'where can I find the material like this?I need help: where can I download Babylon Pro?It's just as wellDifference between 'Beach' and 'Shore'Expression: "He lashed me with his whip.""Keep it with you" vs "Keep it with yourself"Expression: "Nobody said he didn't want cake."Could it be "except on"?no two objects so dissimilar that he cannotno two languages are so similar that they can be considered...