system of knowledge gained by research; specific field of systematic knowledge; skill; proficiency
situation
implement
enlargement
science

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

How to learn English well | Shop-shop-shoping!
Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #16 (permalink) Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:51 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

@Bl.balaji: I don't agree on this one. There are so many people in India that use bad grammar but that is not an excuse for bad grammar. Similarly it is not a great idea to promote English usage that is incorrect. In this forum, there were many people who got confused by this question. If someone forwards your email outside the country then it may look silly. People who are good in English does not use the word "revert" instead of "reply". Why do you have to use "revert" incorrectly? Does the usage of "revert" make you feel pompous?

Hari Gangadharan
Harinair

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #17 (permalink) Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

I don't know about India but here in Malaysia, what they really mean is "get back". I just received this in the mail: "For any urgent matter or enquiries, please feel free to contact our Corporate Phone Banking, 1300-00-7000. Or you may contact me at 012-123456.

Otherwise, I will revert to you once I am back." What the sender really meant was that she would get back to me.
Simw

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #18 (permalink) Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

It's obvious what the sender means, but it is not correct usage of the word 'revert', which does not simply mean 'return/get back' but indications a return to a previous state.
_________________

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #19 (permalink) Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Beeesneees wrote:

Exactly! What i don't understand is why they don't want to use the simple " I will get back to you on this matter ASAP.
Simw

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #20 (permalink) Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Yes, here in China & Hong Kong many people also use like this way. Long ago I asked my interpretation teacher and she said it's a wrong usage. I would guess it also comes from some people mistake the dictionary -- in Simplified Chinese characters the meanings of "revert" and "reply" look alike -- and thought they are in similar meanings.

Bluesnow

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Two things is enough to learn EnglishUsage: Pre-pone.albeit fleetinglypushed me to/for me tofound not thatfinished vs have finishedrocket scienceto put emphasis on or emphasis inutterlyeither (of them)/ Neitheranaesthetic8 sentences - check for any grammar errorscan I say" as a permision by students in the class