secret agent; person who secretly investigates and gathers information about other people
warning
anniversary
spy
flexibility

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

How to learn English well | Shop-shop-shoping!
Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 01, 2008 15:02 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Is it grammatically correct to say," I will revert back to you later"?Can we use th word 'revert' as in the sentence above?
Jps

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 01, 2008 18:38 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

I have never encountered such a use. I will get back to you later.
Barb_D

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 01, 2008 18:44 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

hi JPS

Tonally your sentence may work in reference to an issue, although how Barb mentions it is quite common.

"I will revert back to the point of a minimum wage". Maybe in a lecture.

"The Irish reverted back to a parliamentary system, but as shared governance".

I am not aware of the usage for people though.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #4 (permalink) Tue Jul 01, 2008 18:50 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Ooooh! I just thought of one: The Incredible Hulk says to David Banner, in the mirror: I will revert back to you when I am calm again.

But I still can't imagine using "revert back to you" in any plausible manner.
Barb_D

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

I think JPS was asking if the word "revert" could be used to mean "reply". Using "revert to someone" or "revert back to someone" to mean "to reply or get back to someone" is quite common in Malaysia, even though "revert" does NOT mean "reply" ( see http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revert ).

What do you think? :)
Hploh

Misuse of revert #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 am   Misuse of revert

I have seen the word "revert" being used in India and Ireland by many people instead of the word "reply" - I saw that used first by couple of Indians and then by an Irish person. However that is a wrong usage. Probably some stupid thought that it is more professional to use the word revert instead of reply. And the rest started using the same thing.

As hploh pointed out in link ( http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revert ) meaning of revert is to return to a former habit, practice, belief, condition, etc. Mostly this is used in the software world to represent the rollback to a previous version (E.g. 3).
E.g.:
1. A witch turned a princess to a frog. But, when the prince kissed the frog, it reverted to the princess form.
2. When the sun rises, the werewolf reverts to its human form.
3. Due to significant problems in the version 3.2, Microsoft reverted the popular Microsoft Excel software to version 3.1.

"Revert to me with the details" literally means I am asking you carry that details and become me (probably by drinking a magic potion or by the kiss of a prince LOL). That definitely sounds stupid.

References:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/revert.html
http://www.goodenglish.org.sg/site/tips-for-work/misusing-the-word-revert.html

Hari Gangadharan
Harinair

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #7 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

>> Is it grammatically correct to say," I will revert back to you later"? Can we use the word 'revert' as in the sentence above?

Sorry - again I thought I will answer the original question. Since revert means return back, go back etc., "revert back" may not be grammatically correct. "I will revert to you later" is grammatically correct. But the meaning is not what you think. The meaning is "Sometime later I will become you or change back to you (also implies that sometime back I was you)".

Hari Gangadharan
Harinair

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #8 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 19:28 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Hi Hari,

I would suggest that 'revert' or 'revert back' is an intransitive verb and indicates returning to the original status. Some children's toys can be screwed up into various shapes and then when left alone will return to their original shape -revert back to their original shape.

_________________

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #9 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 0:22 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Hi Alan,

"Revert back" and "refer back" are redundant usage just like the "repeat again". In the above sentence "when the toy is left alone, it will revert to its original shape" is the correct usage.

Reference:
http://www.bartleby.com/68/50/5150.html

Hari Gangadharan
Harinair

Misuse of revert #10 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:05 am   Misuse of revert

harinair wrote:
I have seen the word "revert" being used in India and Ireland by many people instead of the word "reply" - I saw that used first by couple of Indians and then by an Irish person.
I wonder whether Ralf has heard this usage of 'revert'.
.
_________________

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #11 (permalink) Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

Amy:

I think this is a recent thing. 12 years back I was in India and I have never heard anybody use revert in that context. Now it seems that the usage is pretty common. When I pointed the wrong usage of revert to my sister-in-law who worked in a currency exchange in India, she told me that it was surprising to know that the usage is wrong. She told me that in the communication between branches and head office the usage "revert to me soon" and "revert to me with details" is common last sentence in all mails. The following is last sentence of a mail I received few days back from somebody in Dublin, Ireland (references to people are changed to ****): "Please let us know when it has been changed? ***** & I will ask ***** to test, and we will revert with the results." and here is another one from the same person: "We would like to revert to *****, who will be assisting with the checks afterwards."

I sincerely hope that they will *not* update the dictionaries to include "reply" as a meaning of revert.

Hari
Harinair

Use of "revert" #12 (permalink) Tue Dec 07, 2010 14:20 pm   Use of "revert"

Instead of wanting "revert" to mean "reply" are the users trying to use it to mean "return"?

Then is this grammatically correct?

Karmalain
Karma333

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #13 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:10 am   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

I don't think so. Still it is not correct. Reverting a document is not returning the document with corrections. Revert means go back in shape or form.
Harinair

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #14 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 18:56 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

As long as u use "revert" in India for "reply", its 100% correct!!
(when in Rome, do as the Romans do!) ;-)
Bl.balaji

Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later) #15 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 19:11 pm   Usage of revert (I will revert back to you later)

When speaking English...
_________________

Two things is enough to learn EnglishUsage: Pre-pone.albeit fleetinglypushed me to/for me tofound not thatfinished vs have finishedrocket scienceto put emphasis on or emphasis inutterlyeither (of them)/ Neitheranaesthetic8 sentences - check for any grammar errorscan I say" as a permision by students in the class