Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

receiving of a regular or fixed payment
coherent
stipendiary
legal
present
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between country and countryside

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the meaning of causality? | One of the scariest experiences you can have
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between country and countryside #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2005 16:24 pm   Difference between country and countryside

Test No. incompl/inter-20 "Will or Shall?", question 6

I want you to imagine that a man is walking ..........

(a) in the country
(b) on the countryside
(c) by the countryside
(d) over the country

Test No. incompl/inter-20 "Will or Shall?", answer 6

I want you to imagine that a man is walking in the country.

Correct answer: (a) in the country

Your answer was: incorrect
I want you to imagine that a man is walking on the countryside.

What's the difference between 'country' and 'countryside'?

Davidddd
Davidddd

Difference between country and countryside #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 10, 2005 17:45 pm   Difference between country and countryside

Both expressions would be IN the country/countryside. There is very little difference except that countryside is more specific and refers in particular to fields/meadows/rivers/streams and so on.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between country and countryside #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:50 am   Difference between country and countryside

why can't we use on the countryside
jyo
Mudium
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between country and countryside #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am   Difference between country and countryside

Quote:
why can't we use on the countryside
jyo

i got from MR.Alan's explanation that both country and countryside can be used but if they come after the preposition in but as you see in the question the second distractor has the preposition on not in
Goodmahsa
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What is the meaning of causality? | One of the scariest experiences you can have
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does "scenic spot" mean?Does "delineate" also mean "describe"?This is a great website!What does cahoots mean?What does nutshell mean?What are endangered, tentative, and ambiguous?What is conservative in terms of politics here?What is Impeachment?What does treaty mean? Why and When we use Treaty?Why is rye uncountable?'If you look out the window' vs 'If you look out of the window'Meaning of murdererDo we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?