to narrate; to tell; to make a connection between; to have a good relationship with
strive
relate
cause
urbanize

The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

without packing heat? | gerund and inf are used like a subject
The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 am   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

As my title, could anyone tell me the differences between 'when' and 'while'? Thank you.
Genzo

The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 14:05 pm   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

We usually use while to say that two longer actions or situations go/went of at the same time: While you were reading the paper, I was working.
We prefer when to refer to ages and periods of life: When I was a child we lived in London.
You can add as to this list of words. As is used to talk about two situations which develop or change together: As I get older I get more optimistic.
We can use all three words to introduce a longer 'background' action or situation, which is/was going on when something else happens/happened:
As I was walking down the street I saw Joe driving a Porsche.
The telephone always rings when you are having a bath.
While they were playing cards, somebody broke into the house.

_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 am   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

From 'Practical English Usage' by Michael Swan: When/While/As
(Sorry, but I don't have the book now, if there's something wrong please help correct it, thanks very much.)

1.background situation
When/While/As I was walking down the street, I saw Peter drive a Volvo passing by.

2.a period time (usually progressive form)using while/when
While/When I was playing cards, Davied came in.

3.two acting, two continual one (two progressive forms)
While I was having dinner, Mom was watching TV.

4.two simple tense while/when either can be used, yet if what we talk about is about the age or kinda life step, usually using 'when'
I had lunch in the restaurant while/when she studied in the library.
Mary's mother died when she was 12. (speaking of the age)
Mary married a cute guy when she was in London. (speaking of a kind of life step)
Edison_Chen_e_c

souvenir or gift (present)that formula has yet to be dialed in?'regardless of' vs 'every'any vs everymore students said they didn't like their school"any" health-related messages they offer "won't" be dismissedUsage of "-ing after to"Usage of "get the better of"how to find out stressDifference between brand and trademarkNot as good as I want to (be).do, to do, or doingSentence: He was to have met her last week itself, but because of the heavy...