Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to narrate; to tell; to make a connection between; to have a good relationship with
strive
relate
cause
urbanize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
without packing heat? | gerund and inf are used like a subject
listening exercisestell a friend
The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 am   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

As my title, could anyone tell me the differences between 'when' and 'while'? Thank you.
Genzo

The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 07, 2008 14:05 pm   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

We usually use while to say that two longer actions or situations go/went of at the same time: While you were reading the paper, I was working.
We prefer when to refer to ages and periods of life: When I was a child we lived in London.
You can add as to this list of words. As is used to talk about two situations which develop or change together: As I get older I get more optimistic.
We can use all three words to introduce a longer 'background' action or situation, which is/was going on when something else happens/happened:
As I was walking down the street I saw Joe driving a Porsche.
The telephone always rings when you are having a bath.
While they were playing cards, somebody broke into the house.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
The differences between 'when' and 'while'? #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 am   The differences between 'when' and 'while'?

From 'Practical English Usage' by Michael Swan: When/While/As
(Sorry, but I don't have the book now, if there's something wrong please help correct it, thanks very much.)

1.background situation
When/While/As I was walking down the street, I saw Peter drive a Volvo passing by.

2.a period time (usually progressive form)using while/when
While/When I was playing cards, Davied came in.

3.two acting, two continual one (two progressive forms)
While I was having dinner, Mom was watching TV.

4.two simple tense while/when either can be used, yet if what we talk about is about the age or kinda life step, usually using 'when'
I had lunch in the restaurant while/when she studied in the library.
Mary's mother died when she was 12. (speaking of the age)
Mary married a cute guy when she was in London. (speaking of a kind of life step)
Edison_Chen_e_c
I'm here quite often ;-)

without packing heat? | gerund and inf are used like a subject
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
souvenir or gift (present)that formula has yet to be dialed in?'regardless of' vs 'every'any vs everymore students said they didn't like their school"any" health-related messages they offer "won't" be dismissedUsage of "-ing after to"Usage of "get the better of"how to find out stressDifference between brand and trademarkNot as good as I want to (be).do, to do, or doingSentence: He was to have met her last week itself, but because of the heavy...