close-fitting; tense; narrow
negotiable
tight
moral
mean

What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

meaning of "all hell broke loose" | What does 'chapter and verse' mean?
What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 am   What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

"That is just a castle in the .......... I haven't sold a home for that price since 1983," the real estate agent told the couple.

(a) sky
(b) woods
(c) city
(d) books

"That is just a castle in the sky. I haven't sold a home for that price since 1983," the real estate agent told the couple.

Correct answer: (a) sky
_________________________

What is the meaning and origin of this phrase?

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'? #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:31 pm   What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

Hi Priya,

'to build castles in the sky' is impossible, so this idiomatic expression describes a fantastic idea. Another expression is 'to have a pipe dream'.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of forsaken?The idiomatic expression ' to latch onto'"...that made him...", isn't it?Why is "you have forgiven me"?Odd use of 'will'sausages at the butcher's?What does keep it down mean?'To keep company' - slang expression or an expression of the spoken english?"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?promising vs promisedarrangements vs confirmations