Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

close-fitting; tense; narrow
negotiable
tight
moral
mean
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "all hell broke loose" | What does 'chapter and verse' mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 am   What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #317 "English Slang Idioms (38)", question 1

"That is just a castle in the .......... I haven't sold a home for that price since 1983," the real estate agent told the couple.

(a) sky
(b) woods
(c) city
(d) books

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #317 "English Slang Idioms (38)", answer 1

"That is just a castle in the sky. I haven't sold a home for that price since 1983," the real estate agent told the couple.

Correct answer: (a) sky

What is the meaning and origin of this phrase?

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'? #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:31 pm   What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?

Hi Priya,

'to build castles in the sky' is impossible, so this idiomatic expression describes a fantastic idea. Another expression is 'to have a pipe dream'.
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "all hell broke loose" | What does 'chapter and verse' mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is the meaning of forsaken?The idiomatic expression ' to latch onto'"...that made him...", isn't it?Why is "you have forgiven me"?Odd use of 'will'sausages at the butcher's?What does keep it down mean?'To keep company' - slang expression or an expression of the spoken english?"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?promising vs promisedarrangements vs confirmations