boss; person or company that hires people to do work
confirmation
discipline
employer
employment

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Is completely wrong a collocation? | when you want to market a new product
What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 am   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", question 5

Since he left the army, he misses the excitement and danger and still wants to live life in the fast ..........

(a) track
(b) path
(c) street
(d) lane

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", answer 5

Since he left the army, he misses the excitement and danger and still wants to live life in the fast lane.

Correct answer: (d) lane
_________________________

Priya Ragahavan
Priya Ragahavan

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 15:45 pm   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

"living in the fast lane" means to live life very fast. to be always busy, always doing things and to not care about concequences and to be a bit risky usually.

"to fast track something" means to accelerate a process or make it go quicker
so if you are applying for a job and you want to "fast track" the application then that means you want to make it happen sooner.
Benjamin

Location: London

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:20 am   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Hi! Benjamin,
Thanks for your nice explanation.It's really help me to understand their meanings.

By the way,there is a typing error of "consequences" .!^_^

ching
Ching

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 02, 2013 19:24 pm   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Benjamin thought of the same as me. But really here, there are two true answers. A matter of taste what I choose.

Why did I choose the first one? I try to explain my thoughts.

1.Since he left the army, he misses the excitement and danger and still wants to live life in the fast track. = it means that he misses the excitement and danger so he wants to accelerate the events by himself.

2.Since he left the army, he misses the excitement and danger and still wants to live life in the fast lane. = He wants to live where life is very fast, whether he could include in this fast life ? How do I know? maybe or not maybe.

The first expresses better that he is a participant of his own advancement, but in the second he lives where life is fast. My question: is he a passive or an active member of this life?
_________________

Re: What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 03, 2013 21:05 pm   Re: What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Benjamin wrote:

'fast track' is not only a verb. It's used as a noun in the test question and below.
'He is on the fast track to a promotion.'
Canadian45

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:14 am   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Many thanks for your answer. Now the idiom of "the fast lane" is clear .Who live in the fast lane they live an exciting life, but they expose themself to danger.

Free Dictionary.
Be/live/move/stay in the fast lane = Fred lives in the fast lane. It's lucky he's still alive.
Cambridge dictionary
a way of living that is full of excitement, activity, and often danger: Parties and women - his was a life in the fast lane.
Your dictionary/IDIOMS
life in the fast lane. A lifestyle that involves free spending and self-indulgence, and sometimes also dissipation and danger. For example, They're finding that life in the fast lane can be very stressful

So if I understand you well you would have put the fast track in the test -question because it is the quickest and most direct route to achievement of a goal, as in competing for professional advancement and it isn't fraught with danger ?
_________________

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 04, 2013 18:58 pm   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

So if I understand you well you would have put the fast track in the test -[b]

No, 'fast track' is not the correct answer to the test question.
I was just pointing out that 'track' in 'fast track' is also a noun, not just a verb.
Canadian45

What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'? #8 (permalink) Sun Aug 04, 2013 20:14 pm   What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?

Many thanks. I saw that the fast track as an adjectival noun. I like very much to search the difference between idioms and I copied what I found in the dictionaries. The fast lane includes the danger, it is obvious, when we think of the lane of the motorways/highways. and " not the little boy who lives down the lane"
_________________

i wrote an ielts writing of task 2 please come inWhat are skyscrapers?What is skydiving?She is a very nice person.What is souvenirs?What is Ping pong?What does skylight mean?Does verb phrase "speak up" mean tell the truth?English idiom: take out the trashWhat does tail mean?Meaning of 'limit'Meaning of 'whiff'What does 'skylarking' mean? Is it an idiom?