against; in contrast to
apart
counter
firm
opposite

meaning of "all hell broke loose"

'To keep company' - slang expression or an expression of the spoken english? | What is the meaning and origin of the phrase 'a castle in the sky'?
meaning of "all hell broke loose" #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 17:20 pm   meaning of "all hell broke loose"

His friend decided to push the police officer, who was questioning him and all ......... broke loose.

(a) hats
(b) hell
(c) ropes
(d) cows

His friend decided to push the police officer, who was questioning him and all hell broke loose.

Correct answer: (b) hell
_________________________

what does idioms mean?

Luchta
Luchta

meaning of "all hell broke loose" #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:25 pm   meaning of "all hell broke loose"

Hi Luchta,

"What does idiom mean?" should be the question here

An idiom is a fixed expression, often used in a metaphorical way. Saying that 'all hell breaks loose' is a common metaphor for saying 'the situation gets out of control'. You could also say 'a situation goes completely off course' or 'a situation goes pear-shaped'.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is the meaning of forsaken?The idiomatic expression ' to latch onto'"...that made him...", isn't it?Why is "you have forgiven me"?Odd use of 'will'sausages at the butcher's?What does keep it down mean?"...dropped it like it was ...", isn't it?What does 'chapter and verse' mean?What does 'casting a long shadow' mean?promising vs promisedarrangements vs confirmationswhere to use solitary?