to be involved; to join in
choose
recruit
participate
engage

"give in" or "give up"

Unless he be very much changed ... (use of "be") | Phrase "I'm only young"
"give in" or "give up" #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 am   "give in" or "give up"

I don't know which to choose in this sentence:
After 4 days of freedom, the escaped prisoner gave himself ... to the police.
a. up
b. away
c. off
d. in
When I looked it up in my dictionary, I found out that both "in" and "up" is OK! What do you think about it? Which is the best choice, as for you?
Thank you in advance.
_________________
On earth there is nothing great but man, in man there is nothing great but mind.
Sophie

"give in" or "give up" #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:37 am   "give in" or "give up"

I would say that he gave himself up to the police, because he surrended, called truce :)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"give in" or "give up" #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:49 pm   "give in" or "give up"

I found some examples:
They were both dead by the time Goulais gave himself up to the police.
Will they give themselves up to the tribunal?
In the end, his family gave him up to the police.

_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

"give in" or "give up" #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:55 pm   "give in" or "give up"

It's tricky. Only "off" has no meaning here.
I think "up" here is the best option.

But "away" can be used but gives a different meaning in a different context. If you give yourself away (in this situation) that means he was hiding but he accidentally did something that meant the police found him.

"in" can be used but the term would then have to be "he turned himself in" which has a similiar meaning to "gave himself up".

to turn yourself in suggests more that he actively went looking for a policeman.
Benjamin

Location: London

"give in" or "give up" #5 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 14:11 pm   "give in" or "give up"

what's the difference between afforestation, forestation and deforestation?

Gray
Albertgray

"give in" or "give up" #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 15:19 pm   "give in" or "give up"

Hi, why don't you look them up in the dictionary?
We can see that among the three words, "afforestation" and "forestation" have meaning in contrast with "deforestation".
"Afforestation" and "forestation" both mean "the act of converting into forest or woodland" while "deforestation" means "the act of destroying the forest, for example: cutting down trees, burning the forest for agricultural land ..."
It's just my oppinion. I also want to know yours.
_________________
Sophie

Congratulations! Your web site help me a lot.Question beginning with 'if not.'Is it right to say "How about you?""How long have you come back?"Phrase "I think it good"?The forest is usually quiet before the storm.The pronunciation of "the".Useage of adverb: 'She regularly visits France' vs 'She visits France regularly'difference/similarities between must/have toUsage of real, existent, living or aliveCorrect way to address: Can you ask 'how many sisters do you have?'What is the difference beteween clarify, clarifies, clarified?Meaning of "keep his body and soul together"