Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

examination; careful inspection; debate
propensity
attendant
information
canvass
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

the law of proximity in grammar

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about?
I have been meaning to ask for a long lime. | The errant husband.
listening exercisestell a friend
the law of proximity in grammar #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 09, 2008 13:53 pm   the law of proximity in grammar

could you please lecture me a little bit on the law of proximity in grammar? pardon me if I get the spelling wrong.
Albertgray

the law of proximity in grammar #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:41 am   the law of proximity in grammar

I presume that you are speaking of proximal concord, in which a verb may agree in number with a nearer noun rather than with its grammatical referent.

A group of boys are standing over there. -- Although the sentence subject is singular (group), the verb is plural (are) because the concept 'boys' (a plural noun) is nearer it.

It is not a 'law' in the sense that you must obey it, but it does leave open the possibility of two natural formations:

A group of boys is/are standing over there

On second thought, another possible 'law of proximity' is that modifiers (adverbs and adjectives) should be placed as near as possible to their referents in order to avoid confusion:

(X)The man gave me a sandwich who is sitting over there.
The man who is sitting over there gave me a sandwich

The modifying clause (who is sitting over there) should be placed near its referent (man)-- just in case we might think it is a sitting sandwich (somewhat personified).

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
the law of proximity in grammar #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 13, 2009 18:36 pm   the law of proximity in grammar

sir, can I say about seventy to eighty percent of the students have or has improved?
Albertgray

the law of proximity in grammar #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 13, 2009 18:41 pm   the law of proximity in grammar

can I also say a greater percentage of the students has improve?
Albertgray

the law of proximity in grammar #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 13, 2009 23:02 pm   the law of proximity in grammar

70-80% of the students have....
70-80% of the water has....

'Greater percentage' is OK.

the law of proximity in grammar #6 (permalink) Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:31 am   the law of proximity in grammar

Sir, do i say: i was not one of those who was chasing her for tips
or i was not one of those who were chasing her for tips?
Albertgray

I have been meaning to ask for a long lime. | The errant husband.
ESL Forum | What do you want to talk about? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The Singer.Martha.How popular is dubbing in your country?Writing a story?EARLY MORNING .How birthdays are celebrate in your country?How to get Eight bands in the IELTS test.English needs a Royal English Academy for English Language!The story of Sammy.Anyone aware of the new Google Toolbar with the SideWiki?Is English language an easy language?Your addiction to the Internet.Historical places in your town!...