Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

prop; brace; economic assistance; upkeep; encouragement; aid
selection
decrease
environment
support
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

does "a couple weeks" mean two?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of pretty, quite, rather, fairly | Didn't? Confused... Are singular verbs take singular subject right?
listening exercisestell a friend
does "a couple weeks" mean two? #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:36 am   does "a couple weeks" mean two?

Hello, I've been arguing extensively with my friend over the usage of the word "couple" as translated from Russian. In Russian we say couple to mean both "two" or "several", it is rather vague.

I have checked the forum already, and found out that saying "a couple weeks" and "a couple of weeks" are both acceptable forms, but hearing "a couple ___" still makes me incredibly uneasy. Am I right to believe that although both are acceptable today, saying "couple ____(noun)" is informal and slang as opposed to "a couple of"?

My whole problem is that I wanted to tell a person that their painting will be ready in a week or two at the latest, my friend wrote "a couple weeks" which I said was wrong because it will make the person think they have to wait several weeks. My friend is completely adamant that couple always means "pair" regardless of whether it's used as a noun or descriptive noun. And that "couple" never means several.

Every dictionary we've looked this up in all translate "couple" as "pair", but I am convinced that "a couple (of)____" at least 90% of the time means MORE than two.

I would really appreciate "a couple of" :) responses to back up my point.
Sashka378

does "a couple weeks" mean two? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:38 am   does "a couple weeks" mean two?

*** one correction: my friend concedes that "a couple OF weeks" will mean several, but as long as one says "couple weeks" it means specifically two.
Sashka378

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
does "a couple weeks" mean two? #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 am   does "a couple weeks" mean two?

Hi Sashka

Both 'a couple (nouns)' and 'a couple of (nouns)' are commonly used in American English. There is no difference in meaning: Both can mean exactly 2, or possibly a few more than 2. (I'd say it would generally be less than 5.)

As far as I know, only 'a couple of (nouns)' is used in British English.

Usage of pretty, quite, rather, fairly | Didn't? Confused... Are singular verbs take singular subject right?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Usage of start and beginEnglish morphology and syntaxCalculation of earnings and expensesaffect or has an effect"Prices keep rising" or "Prices keep growing"?What does "need I say less" mean?Congratulations! Your web site help me a lot.Question beginning with 'if not.'"How long have you come back?"historic and historicalPhrase "I think it good"?Usage of real, existent, living or aliveUsage of rare, sparse or scarce