reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible

I like doing something and I like to do something.

out the window vs. out of the window | That doesn't matter & Never mind
I like doing something and I like to do something. #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 19:13 pm   I like doing something and I like to do something.

Hello everyone. I hope that everyone is all right and doing fine. Ok, well, I have a question about the verb (like)!! As we know, there are a lot of usages for this verb such as:
(Like doing something) and (like to do something).
Here are some examples:
• I don't like talking in public.
• He's never liked talking about people behind their backs.
• She doesn't like to swear in front of the children.
I would like to ask the following:
What are the differences between (like doing something) and (like to do something)?
As a beginner in English language, I really don’t know how to differentiate them!!
Would anyone please explain that to me?
I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
Helmey

I like doing something and I like to do something. #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 21:59 pm   I like doing something and I like to do something.

Hi Helmey,

You're asking pretty good questions for "a beginner in English" ;)

Basically, I'd say that Americans tend to use sentence constructions such as 'He likes to help people' more often than speakers of British English who would more likely say 'He likes helping people'. But since I'm not American, it would be good to hear someone from overseas here.

To me, the verb 'like' usually triggers an -ing form.

Joe likes playing football

Jim and Jane like watching thrillers.

Jack's brother's dog Jed likes chewing on bones.

Other verbs that express likes/dislikes and that are usually followed by a gerund are i.e. 'love' 'hate', 'enjoy' etc
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
I like doing something and I like to do something. #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 17, 2008 22:41 pm   I like doing something and I like to do something.

Hi Ralf.

Thanks a lot for replying my post and I really appreciate your help. I’m glad that I’m a member in here and I can learn a lot from you.
Helmey

I like doing something and I like to do something. #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:52 am   I like doing something and I like to do something.

In my humble opinion, "like doing something" refers to a permanent hobby while "like to do something" implies a temporary interest in a particular situation. For example:

1) Joe likes playing football. (permanent hobby)

2) Joe likes to play football with Tim because Tim is his best friend. (When Tim is no longer Joe's best friend, Joe won't like to play football with Tim, so it's just his temporary interest not permanent hobby)

My teacher taught me that but I'm not sure if he's correct. Can any native speaker shed more light on this?

P/S: There's also a similar thread on a different forum. Perhaps it can be used as a reference: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/27528-like-infinitive-gerund.html
_________________
"I would rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
Atomos

I like doing something and I like to do something. #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:09 am   I like doing something and I like to do something.

I think the subject has been well aired. The only distinction I would make is that the infinitive is more specific and the 'ing' form is more general. There is a famous line from Shakespeare's play, Hamlet about the nature of life:
To be, or not to be
, which clearly wouldn't work if that were 'being' instead. Another example can be seen after the verb 'hate'. One way of apologising is to introduce your interruption with this verb as in: I hate to interrupt you but I think you are wrong. This is 'interrupt' on a specific occasion. Whereas if you say: I hate interrupting people when they are talking, you are expressing a general 'hate'.

_________________

I like doing something and I like to do something. #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 13:36 pm   I like doing something and I like to do something.

.
I agree with Alan's take on the usage, and would also like to add that I'm not aware of a significant difference in usage between AmE and BE. I suppose that might be interesting (for some) to research, though.
.
_________________

I like doing something and I like to do something. #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 15, 2012 13:47 pm   I like doing something and I like to do something.

You can say 'I like doing something' or 'I like to do something'. Often it doesn't matter which you use, so you can say:
I like getting up early. or I like to get up early.
In British English, there is sometimes a difference between 'I like doing' and 'I like to do'
'I like doing something' means 'I enjoy it'
Do you like cooking?
I like living here.
'I like to do something' means 'I think it is good or right to do it'
I like to clean the kitchen as often as possible.
Mary like people to be in time.
Mane Galstyan

ways to butter breadPlease don't! - how to usewith or without "at"hers/hischeck the (in)validityLess to do vs Fewer things to dotoojokeconsiderreported speechwrite to/__ your parents, write __ / to memeaningmistakes