Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

first in place or rank; primary; leading; main
anyhow
moderately
either
foremost
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

not only ... but also

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expressions: "She always gets the rules around." | Adequate Spark
listening exercisestell a friend
not only ... but also #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 01, 2008 17:48 pm   not only ... but also

not only ... but (also) ... both ... and ...: He not only read the book, but also remembered what he had read.
Page 1041, Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
not only ... (but) also ... used to emphasize that sth else is also true: She not only wrote the text but also selected the illustrations.
Page 1037, Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which can be omitted: but or also?

not only ... but also #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 01, 2008 18:29 pm   not only ... but also

Hi Sitifan

I normally use both words ('but also'), but I sometimes omit the word 'also'.

I would say it is not possible to omit 'but' in either of the two sentences you posted. In my opinion, the example given for "not only...(but) also" was not an appropriate example of a sentence in which the word 'but' could be omitted.

You might see the word 'but' omitted in a sentence such as this:

- She was not only hungry, (but) also tired.
- Not only was she hungry, (but) also tired.

As I said, however, I generally use both words ('but also'), and I would include 'but' in the sentences above. Maybe someone else will have a different take on this.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
not only ... but also #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:49 am   not only ... but also

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=98218&dict=CALD
not only ... (but) also
used to say that two related things are true or happened, especially when this is surprising or shocking:
Not only did he turn up late, he also forgot his books.
If this project fails it will affect not only our department, but also the whole organization.

not only ... but also #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 pm   not only ... but also

Hi Sitifan

Did you have another question?

not only ... but also #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 13:09 pm   not only ... but also

Thank you, Yankee.
I guess that when "not only" part is an inversion, "but" is usually omitted.
1. Not only did he turn up late, he also forgot his books.
2. Not only did he turn up late, but he also forgot his books.
3. Not only did he turn up late, but also he forgot his books.
#1 is correct. Are #2 and #3 also acceptable?

not only ... but also #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 03, 2008 13:26 pm   not only ... but also

Hi Sitifan

Yes, I'd say the word 'but' probably is more likely to be omitted when the previous clause begins with 'Not only' (and thus has inversion). Yes, sentences 2 and 3 are also OK.

Expressions: "She always gets the rules around." | Adequate Spark
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Transitory verbsmeaning of "Canned applause"Are you sure? - Can I answer "I'm quite sure"?What does "Better off alone" mean?I know more today than I did yesterdayAgo and Before: The letter had been written four months before/agoAnecdote about earthquakeCorrect me: My room is limited, so I'll pretend this is a telegram. Need...Does it make sense? Oh my God, I have a huge grief devouring my mind. A grim...meaning of "to gallop toward the enemy ... but trot away"Ellipsis and Punctuation Problem (very difficult question)difficult punctuation question: Such a path that he chose to take, is dangerous.When The Saints Go Marching IN