Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

serenity; self-control; calmness; coolness
breadth
infancy
greenhouse
composure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "a fly-by-night outfit" | Shouldn't it be '...helped him blow off some steam...'?
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning of "take the bull by the horns" #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:22 am   meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

Test No. express/advan-1 "Animals", question 1

There are times when you must decide and take the bull by the horns.

(a) make the right decision
(b) make the wrong decision
(c) make a bold decision
(d) make a final decision

Test No. express/advan-1 "Animals", answer 1

There are times when you must decide and make a bold decision.

Correct answer: (c) make a bold decision

what's the meaning in this phrase?

Peregrin
Peregrin

Take the bull by the horns #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:45 am   Take the bull by the horns

This means make a decision in a difficult situation without any hesitation.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
meaning of "take the bull by the horns" #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 25, 2008 0:59 am   meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

isnt it the same with take final decision?
Nerd
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "take the bull by the horns" #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 am   meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

No,

'Taking the bull by the horns' suggests that you are not only making a decision but also doing so in a brave or bold way.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

meaning of "take the bull by the horns" #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:17 am   meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

thanks Alan
Nerd
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "take the bull by the horns" #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 15:11 pm   meaning of "take the bull by the horns"

In the realm of logic, "taking the bull by the horns" is a metaphor describing an alternative to two equally problematic choices when one finds himself "on the horns of a dilemma." Instead of choosing either of the two "horns," one takes the bull by both horns and "walks through the horns" to a third, less problematic, alternative.

Through the years, the association of the phrase with the circumstances of a dilemma has been freely abandoned.
Bbj1919

meaning of "a fly-by-night outfit" | Shouldn't it be '...helped him blow off some steam...'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is it possible to obtain business English reading materials to teach to students?Expression "as best as you can"'disappeared completely' vs 'disappeared quickly'meaning of doughboywhat does "flunked out of the army" mean?suit vs. fitShouldn't it just be '...he always tried to steal the limelight in order to...'?why generating and what does this context mean?"Let's eat out for a change" vs "Let's eat out in a change"Idiom: looking for a fair shakemeaning of "falling-out""responsibility for" vs "responsibility to"meaning of floored