Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

guilt; responsibility; liability
blame
seminar
inquiry
fixture
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
usage of "bear" | Construction 'if ... or not'
listening exercisestell a friend
'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:02 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Which one is correct? and why?

I haven't yet received your documents as at to date.
I haven't yet received your documents as at today.
I haven't yet received your documents as at todate.
David1999
You can meet me at english-test.net

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:11 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi,

I would suggest: As of today I haven't (yet) received your documents

or

To date I haven't (yet) received your documents.

I think you can omit 'yet' in both sentences.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 23, 2008 15:12 pm   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi Alan,
Alan wrote:
Hi,

I would suggest: As of today I haven't (yet) received your documents

What's the meaning and function of 'as of' here?

Alan wrote:
To date I haven't (yet) received your documents.

Does 'to date' here mean the same as 'today', Alan?

Many thanks
Nessie

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi,

'As of today' means up till today and so does 'to date'. They are both used to indicate that something has or has not happened up till the present time/ present day.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 0:10 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

According to the dictionary, [as of/as from] is used to show the time or date from which something starts
Our fax number is changing as of May 12.

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:08 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi Sitifan

The expression 'as of' can mean 'on', 'at' or 'from':
Webster's Dictionary: as of
"used to indicate a time or date at which something begins or ends"

The expression 'as of' is frequently used to refer to the point in time when something begins. To me, that is more or less the same sense as 'from'.

However, the use of this expression to mean 'at' can be viewed as 'at this specified time', and thus you might talk, for example, about something which ended at a specified time, or about something which has or has not yet happened up until the specified time, or you might talk about something that started at the specified time in the past, or you might talk about something that will start at the specified time in the future.

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:25 pm   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi Amy,
Quote:
"used to indicate a time or date at which something begins or ends"

=> But how can we know when to use the expression with which meaning, Amy?

Quote:
However, the use of this expression to mean 'at' can be viewed as 'at this specified time', and thus you might talk, for example, about something which ended at a specified time, or about something which has or has not yet happened up until the specified time, or you might talk about something that started at the specified time in the past, or you might talk about something that will start at the specified time in the future.

(Same query for this)

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #8 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:20 pm   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Hi Nessie

Here are some examples:

- The new law is in effect as of today.
- As of last Friday, we had received 145 applications.
- As of September 26, 2008, we will no longer be accepting applications.
- As of September 29, 2008, we will be interviewing applicants.

'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate' #9 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:20 am   'to date' vs 'today' vs 'todate'

Thank you so much for your very clear-cut examples, Amy :P

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

usage of "bear" | Construction 'if ... or not'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"With any luck" vs "With a bit of luck"Phrase "He was asked what was it like"'terminology' vs 'jargon'?Which preposition should be used with the adjective 'captious'?Phrase 'The show was a fiasco...'What does "should I just keep chasing pavements" mean?Meaning of slang 'kinda' and the way to use it?Writing big number: 203.407.143.000Grammar question: The meaning of life, then, is to leave behind not only...Conditionals (four types of conditionals)Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...Is it correct to say: "I don't think so he will come."Any difference between "simple past" and "past simple"?