to subdue; to conquer; to defeat; to win
vanquish
festoon
attribute
disconcert

TOEFLŽ topic: Some people say that universities should be concerned with educating

ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŽ Test and essay samples collection
TOEFLŽ essay: Advantages and disadvantages of doing shopping in the Internet | TOEFLŽ topic: Some people believe the best way of learning about life is by...
TOEFL topic: Some people say that universities should be concerned with educating #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:46 am   TOEFL topic: Some people say that universities should be concerned with educating

Topic: Some people say that universities should be concerned with educating people so that they will have wide general knowledge and be able to consider important matters from an informed viewpoint. other people say that universitiy should simply train students to do the jobs required by society, and not concern themselves with broader issues. what do you think?

No one can deny the fact that studying in a university with educating people provides lots of advantages such as having wide general knowledge and being able to consider individual matters from general view to every single detail. However as for me, I still believe the view that university should simply train students to do the jobs required by society, and also not educate them any broader issues. There is a number of reasons why I support this view of point.

Firstly, once students come to university, they have already awared of studying independently. Thus, they will have to be in charge with gaining broader issues themselves, not the university’s responsibility to teach them those. To illustrate this, think of the difference between the function of a student in high school and student in university. Have we ever wondered why the educational system in high school required students to study various subjects? I think this question is quite easy to answer since the awareness of students to be independent in studying is directed towarrd by education system in schools. Seemingly, students are expected to study not only important matters but also the broader one. Finally, the achievement given guarantees the demand of social life in which independence is seeming to be very necessary in every single kind of job students will do in the future.

Moreover there is an old quote says that: “Working one job professionally is better than working nine jobs amateurishly”. I think this quote is acceptable to be a good reason for this issue. To illustrate this, think of the living in the present of economic context. We can see that there will be no good job with good salary for a person who can do everything in a fixed limitation which is just not enough for being considered to have a promotion. Therefore, university should train students professionally and skillfully to do the job required by society which will allow students not only to earn more money but also have a stable job with a stable position in society.

Of course, studying in a university with educating people also has their own reasons to be the good choice. However, there is nothing to confuse the advantages of training students to do the jobs required by society in university. That will make students be more independent and more successful in the future.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor discuss an experiment with dummies?
Rakelin

ESL Forums | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŽ Test and essay samples collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
TOEFLŽ essay topic: Is good qualities of a neighbor? Give examples...TOEFLŽ essay: what are the qualities of a good neighbor?TOEFLŽ - Specifying 4 recipients after the testTOEFLŽ essays: People attend college or university for many different reasons...TOEFLŽ essay: Some people say that the amount of information available these daysTOEFLŽ essay example: What is the best age to marry?TOEFLŽ essay: Some people prefer to learn from people who are at the same level...TOEFLŽ essay: Participating in sports and in the artsTOEFLŽ essay: Some people believe that university students should be required...TOEFLŽ essay example: The Qualities of Good ParentsToeflŽ PBT (scale of score)Online ToeflŽ iBT TrainingTOEFLŽ essay topic: People should not make decisions alone