necessary; obligatory; commanding
imperative
maximum
reasonable
upcoming

Native speakers wanted!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anyone "Linkedin" | Crocodile Dundee was German
Native speakers wanted! #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:11 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Hi everybody,

If you are a native speaker of English you might be interested in working with us. We are looking for people who want to create audio versions of our written materials. Maybe you are not a native speaker of English but you know somebody who is? Then you should ask them what you they think of this.

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, talks: Motivational speech

Native speakers wanted! #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 22, 2008 16:28 pm   Native speakers wanted!

hi Torsten

I am kind of interested but it is not clear form your link, what text, or am I missing something?

cheer stew.t.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Native speakers wanted! #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 22, 2008 21:07 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Stew,

Thanks a lot for your interest in recording our texts. The one I posted was just a paragraph you might want to record as a sample. The rest of the texts are here.

Let me know what you think.

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about being self-employed.

Native speakers wanted! #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:12 pm   Native speakers wanted!

What do you make of this recording by Brandee Sweesy? I like a lot -- the only thing is that Brandee was using the integrated mic that came with her laptop. She is now trying to get a decent microphone from her local store and we hope the background noise will be gone. Unfortunately, the mic we discussed here is not available in the States. However, I'm quite sure she'll find something similar.

Please let me know what you think.

TOEIC short conversations: Trying to reach a co-worker on the phone

Native speakers wanted! #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 0:30 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Torsten

Brandee has a nice, friendly voice and her accent is basically general American (though I thought I caught a touch of the South here and there).

She spoke clearly, but also seemed to be speaking much more slowly than normal. That's perhaps good for beginners and the sort of text she recorded. For higher level texts, I'd say she should speak at normal conversational speed.

One thing stuck out in this sentence:
You probably remember that after he/she/it an «s» is added to the verb as in these examples:

She got a little tangled up at the word "an" and seems to have not actually said the letter "s" at all. (Possibly the unusual quote marks around the "s" threw her off.)

As for background noise, to be honest, I didn't notice any at all.
.
_________________

Native speakers wanted! #6 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:22 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Torsten.

I'm interested. I have some audio recording software installed on my computer and I think they're good enough. How can I send you a clip?

*Edit: My bad, I didn't see the email address when I skimmed the page. Will record and email :)
Martino

Location: Manila, Philippines

Native speakers wanted! #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:20 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi guys

Would agree with Amy´s point concerning delivery of speech. But maybe Brandee was being considerate with her recording.
But then that brings up the issue of something sounding forced versus being comprehensible for the level of the listener. An issue I often have with a lot of material. Maybe a balance of a slower speed for explanations and then a natural voice for dialogues or monologues is better. But I am still undecided on this.

Another point that came up when I recorded the text, the phrase "on the weekend" is not natural for a speaker of BrE. But this is a pretty complex issue, as the text needs to have uniformity. However will the learner assume that this form is BrE when listening to an Englishman like me? Something to consider.
On the other hand the learner may see it purely as a learning tool for grammar and form.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Native speakers wanted! #8 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 16:40 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Stew

ESLers will have direct access to the texts, so if they have trouble understanding what they hear, they can choose to read along while they're listening. That's one reason I don't see much need for overly slow speech in the recordings here.

What I have found is that unnaturally slow speaking can give ESLers the wrong impression in a couple of ways.

- They attempt to always pronounce words just as they have heard them. When a recording is unnaturally slow, the words will of course be pronounced more clearly, but also tend to sound unconnected. Students often get frustrated that they cannot reproduce the sounds when they try to speak at a normal speed.

- If the recordings are to be used to help students with their listening skills, then extremely slow speech will not help them too much in the "real" world. They need to practice listening to and understanding what is natural, not what is artificial and non-existent.

- When a native speaker attempts to speak overly slowly, they may end up pronouncing certain words completely differently than what they would otherwise use in "normal" speech. An example of what I mean is Brandee's pronunciation of the indefinite article "a" in the sentence "What do you do for a living?" Although that pronunciation might be used in certain situations for emphasis, it is unlikely to be used in that sentence "in real life".
.
.
Brandee, if you are reading along here, please don't misunderstand me. I liked your recording very much and think your recordings would be a great asset. My comments are intended as hopefully helpful input, and reflect the opinions I've formed after having taught ESL for a very long time.
.
_________________

Native speakers wanted! #9 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:27 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Amy

I agree with you that slowing speech down gives learners (or ESLers to coin your phrase :)) the wrong benchmark. However I would also say that I alter my delivery dependant on the function.
If reciting a dialogue then I become more natural than in explanations in the classroom or on this section of recordings. I think this is normal, well as normal as a teacher´s trait can be.

There is some adjustment in my and other people´s speech dependant on function, don´t you think?

stew.t.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Native speakers wanted! #10 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:51 am   Native speakers wanted!

Hi Stew,

You're right there. You only need to listen to my recordings here to hear the difference (I hope) :).

But Amy's points are quite valid as well - you need to find a good balance of intelligible speech and natural speed.
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Native speakers wanted! #11 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:10 am   Native speakers wanted!

Ralf wrote:
Hi Stew,

Should "natural speed" come out something like this, IYO?

I start wor_kat 9 o'clo_ckand fini_shat 5:30.
Water boil_sat 100 degree_sCelsius.
We usually visi_tour friend_son the weekend.

Should we hear the "linking"?
Molly

Native speakers wanted! #12 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 13:39 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your feedback and support regarding our audio recording project. Stew and Martin have submitted their recording samples and it would be great to get your feedback on them too (sound quality, voice, intonation, pronunciation, etc.) You can listen to them here.

TOEIC short conversations: Choosing the right seminars and workshops

Native speakers wanted! #13 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 14:11 pm   Native speakers wanted!

I thought Stew delivered the introduction in such a way that it sounded interesting. So often information like this read out aloud can sound painfully boring but Stew avoided that trap.

_________________

Native speakers wanted! #14 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 15:51 pm   Native speakers wanted!

The sound quality of all three clips can easily be improved by using software filters, but I think the only suitable recording (for learners) so far was Brandee's. I also think that Stew hasn't yet exploited his full auditory phonetics potential since I know for a fact that he doesn't usually mumble all that much :).
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Native speakers wanted! #15 (permalink) Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:29 pm   Native speakers wanted!

Thks Alan for your compliments, flattery gets you everywhere.

As for mumbling Ralf, care to point out the mumbling that causes incomprehension?
You know my speech is not unaccented or clear as a bell, but I don´t fake a stronger accent for effect either. :shock:
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
free (international) conference callsmaking friendsIs the DVD on its way out?First film remote Amazon rainforest tribeYour feedback on the new shop?Zeitgeist 3The Haunting in ConnecticutFemale Irish Travel writer Dervla Murphy to join Irish boat in flotilla to GazaInformal english?Problems with interviewsWhich Microsoft Technologies will conquer the world of programming?Country I'd like to visitTiffany is going to teach English in South Korea