must (indicating duty or obligation); would (softening the statement)
withdraw
jeopardy
should
entrust

Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...

Any difference between "simple past" and "past simple"? | "The File hasn't been changed" - does this mean, we haven't changed it!
Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war... #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 17:09 pm   Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...

The task is to fill in each numbered blanks with one suitable word.
And the words in red are my own answers.
British television is the big success story of post-war years. Little __rather__ (1) than a limited experiment before the war, it blossomed in __several__ (2) years following 1945. __In__ (3) 1955, commercial television began. To day, 90% of the population have a television in their __houses__ (4) In 1960, a committee of enquiry was __set__ (5) up, __by__ (6) the chairmanship of Sir Harry Pilkington, to investigate the workings of broadcasting. The Pilkington Report, published in 1962, had _____ (7) to say: "Television has been __well__ (8) a mirror of society, but the metaphor, __most__ (9) striking, wholly misses the major issue of the responsibility __of__ (10) the broadcasting authorities. For, if we consider the first aspect of this responsibility, what is the __right__ (11) to reflect? Is it to reflect the best or the worst __of__ (12) us? One cannot escape the question by saying that it must do both; one must ask then __how__ (13) it is to present the best and the worst with complete indifference and __without__ (14) comment. Television __will__ (15) not, and cannot, merely reflect the moral standards of society, it must affect __these__ (16) either by changing or by reinforcing them."
All broadcasting, __including__ (17) television, must be ready and anxious to experiment, to show __things__ (18) new and unusual, to give hearing __from__ (19) dissent. Here, broadcasting must be most willing to make mistakes; for if it does not, it will __make__ (20) no discoveries.
Linh Bui Hoang

Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war... #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 27, 2008 20:50 pm   Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...

(1) should be "more"
(2) the
(4) household
(6) under
(7) this
I don't get the smiling face and kinda got lost after that.
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war... #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 am   Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...

For 4, I'd say "homes." In any case, it must be plural.
I'm mystified at the smiley face too.
Barb_D

Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war... #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:27 am   Gap-filling exercise: British television is the big success story of post-war...

Barb_D wrote:
I'm mystified at the smiley face too.

Oops, I typed (8 ) and (18 ) but it became (8) and (18)
And thank two of you so much for your help
Linh Bui Hoang

usage of "bear"What does "should I just keep chasing pavements" mean?Meaning of slang 'kinda' and the way to use it?Writing big number: 203.407.143.000Grammar question: The meaning of life, then, is to leave behind not only...Transformation: The firm is going to raise everybody's salary (Given)Is it correct to say: "I don't think so he will come."handgame 'rock-paper-scissors''by end of October' vs 'by the end of October'use of 'look like'The meaning of itApart from to say vs. Apart from sayingaccess v.s. the access