to cause to remember
deposit
dictate
remind
reconsider

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
Hi Luschan,please correct and score,on line classes are better for student. | introduction
Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 02, 2008 14:52 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

How do you like the audio version of Articles or Charlie the Brave?

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

TOEIC short conversations: A favor while traveling

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 17:03 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Torsten

I'd recommend re-recording this one. The reason is this:

The focus of this lesson is articles -- the definite article (the) and the indefinite article (a/an). In my opinion, if you want to illustrate the use of these articles in an ESL recording, then ideally the recording should reflect the pronunciation that would normally be used in speech. However, in the recording the indefinite article "a" is repeatedly pronounced the same as "ey" rather than the usual schwa ("uh").

As far as I know, in both AmE as well as BE the "ey" pronunciation would only be used emphatically -- i.e. to emphasize that there is really only one of something, for example.
The recording sends a confusing message to the ESL student with regard to the pronunciation of the article "a".

In addition, the very first mention of the word "the" gives the pronunciation as "thee". Last but not least, perhaps a small disturbance for my British cousins might be the pronunciation of the word "Thames". ;)
.

.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 17:12 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

I agree with Amy. Re-record it.

Hey, Amy, what's your take on the underlined part of this?

"To add emphasis to a noun, the preceding indefinite article is often pronounced as a long a (just as the definite article would be pronounced as "thee" in such cases), whether or not the schwa, or even "an" would be the appropriate usage. In recent years, there has been a noticeable trend to pronouncing almost all indefinite articles in this way, especially in radio or television announcements or news-reading.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_and_an
Molly

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 17:23 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Molly

I'd say people in my neck of the woods still use "uh" rather than "ey" for normal conversation. I'd tend to agree with the idea that some newscasters might use the "ey" pronunciation more often -- but would also suggest that this may simply reflect the fact that (1) they are reading and/or (2) they may unconsciously tend to try to emphasize things more often than your everyday, run-of-the-mill talker would.
.
_________________

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 04, 2008 17:38 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Torsten

I must concur that some of the pronunciation for the explanations should be clearer :shock:

But that the story could use the more natural way that Brandee says "the" and a/an".

Some of her previous recordings were better. :D

On a different note, referring back to what you mentioned in a previous thread concerning students exposing themselves and being exposed to a variety of accents. As this site has different versions of writing, maybe you should consider this when creating audio files. :idea:

And I was wondering how you wish the stories to sound, easily comprehensible or emotive?
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #6 (permalink) Tue Nov 11, 2008 22:38 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hello Mr.Tarsten,
Good after noon.It's 1 P.M.now in California, USA.Now I come to know properly abt " Articals".The story" Charlie the Brave" is full of with definite "the" & indefinit "a, an" articles.First of all I'm reading the whole lesson or artical 2-3 times & then i'm listening to the audio lesson sent by u.This time I was able to understand Brandee's speech
John's compnay is going to give a $1000 bonus this year.
The Himalaya is the highest mountain in the world.
The sun gives us energy.
I'm afraid of the roaring lion who is seating under the tree.
Mohan is a boy but Sheela is a girl.
please eat an orange.It's a health fruit.
It's a rainy season. take an umbrella when u r out of the house.
i need a few girls 4 help in the kitchen.
An American English is hard to understand.
You are decorated as a bride but where is the groom?
I need an active person for my" Great Clips" shop.
The lady who is standing besides u is my mother.
An animal, an elephant, an apple, an Ink-pot, the Indians, a merchant, a driver, an artist, the moon, the sky etc.
Plez tell me if there is any mistake.
Yashomati
Yashomati

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

hey there,

thank you very much for the recording and everything. I did benefit a lot. A special thank-you-note for brandee.

I have some questions. Hope you can help me with them:

why do we use THE in these sentences??

1- One of the main differences between the two is that.....

2- the warm summer air.....

and about this rule:

*Before a noun made definite by the addition of a phrase or clause.
"The woman dressed in black."

umm can you give my example on how to use this rule?

also, can i say ( i saw a woman dressed in black)?

my last question.

what is the right thing to say

the sky is the limit

OR

sky is the limit?

many thanks in advance. Your site is amazing.
Sara Simo

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:53 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Most of the audition is very well
but what "a" pronounced? /ei/ /e/ ?
Miaozilong

Location: China

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #9 (permalink) Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Unfortunately I couldn't listen to the article. My computer says that the file is not found.
Rostic

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #10 (permalink) Mon Jan 12, 2009 15:26 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Please try again.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A happy man in the studio

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #11 (permalink) Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:41 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Dear Torsten and the team,

What yankee has said is correct. It gives some confusing pronunciation. Now as south asians, we have different languages and english pronunciation of us is different too.
So, if we are getting confusing idea from these audio files, its not worth.

please re-consider about the recordings.

Anyway, would like to appreciate your work.

regards,
chami
Chami

Location: Srilanka

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #12 (permalink) Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:08 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Dear Torsten,
Could you give some suggestion for your record. It is really hard for me to listen what you said.
Many thanks!
Pmoon

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #13 (permalink) Sun Sep 20, 2009 21:11 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Mr. Torsten

First of all
I want to say,
I like to repeat your article and your lesson. It helps me to add some new vocabulary and uses of grammar in sentences.

I want to ask you about the meaning of "take the night before last". I couldn't find in the dictionary. Is it idiom?

Thank you,
_Guruh_
Guruh

Location: Indonesia

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #14 (permalink) Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:27 am   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Guruh,

'Take the night before last' suggests that the reader listens to or pays attention to the example of something that happened two nights ago. 'Take' in this expression is used as an imperative or request and would be similar to saying: Just listen to what happened the night before last.

_________________

Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave) #15 (permalink) Mon Sep 21, 2009 21:03 pm   Feedback on audio recording (4 Articles, Charlie the Brave)

Hi Mr. Alan

Thanks for your explanation :)
Guruh

Location: Indonesia

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Talk about the photograph or painting.Integrated speech: Critical period.Kitchen problem in dorm. ToeflŪ type 5.Please correct my speech. Problem related to study group.Q type 5.Integrated speech.Elephants are a key stone species.HI,Torschan or Luschan.pleases correct it.Explicit and implicit memories.Integrated speech: Plan for campus gym.Integrated speech. New position for professor Fox.Integrated speech,advertising technique of target marketing.please , I'm looking for your evaluate ?HI LUSCHEN,could you please correct my integrated speech.Speaking/writting practiceHi Mr Luschen. could you correct and rate my accent? please