method; way; medium; resources; funds
local
means
field
reception

Rules on possessive nouns

tack towards the docks = lay aboard | in on or at?
Rules on possessive nouns #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 15:05 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Good day!

I am an English Teacher here in the Philippines. I can't help but ask you questions regarding the rules on possessive nouns. What I have been teaching is that when a singular possessive noun made up of two or more syllable ends with s ,add apostrophe only:
Ex. Dennis' guitar Maritess' blouse
When a singular possessive noun is made of one syllable only, add 's .
Ex. Cris's answer Jess's gun
However, some books published recently in the Philippines write:
If the singular possessive noun ends with s regardless of the number of syllables, add (') apostrophe only.
Other books even suggest that if the noun the noun ends with x , s or z ,just add the apostrophe only
Ex. Dax' homework Mrs. Cruz' class record

Please help me before I will make a mess . My 25 years of teaching career is at stake here.

Thank you and more power.
Lilibeth M. Ablanque

Rules on possessive nouns #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 17:00 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Here are the rules from Purdue University writing lab: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

• add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):
the owner's car
James's hat

• add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:

the children's game
the geese's honking

• add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:

houses' roofs
three friends' letters

• add 's to the end of compound words:

my brother-in-law's money
• add 's to the last noun to show joint possession of an object:

Todd and Anne's apartment

Sounds like those books are not quite right.
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Rules on possessive nouns #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:34 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Thank you, diverhank...for your very quick reply, however you did not include in your reply the rules on singular nouns that are made up of two or more syllables.
For ex. Demosthenes, Maritess, Nemesis
Thanks in advance.
Lilibeth M. Ablanque

Rules on possessive nouns #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 05, 2008 23:35 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Lilibeth M. Ablanque wrote:
For ex. Demosthenes, Maritess, Nemesis
Thanks in advance.
Lilibeth, I'm not sure if this rule exists. This link certainly suggests that there are no such rules. See rule 2 example of actress's
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp
Diverhank

Location: California, USA

Rules on possessive nouns #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 06, 2008 0:03 am   Rules on possessive nouns

Hi Lilibeth

The problem is that there are no 100% absolute rules for punctuation in English, and it seems there are often some fine points that even the "experts" can't agree on.
Here is something else that might you out, though:

http://www.bartleby.com/64/82.html
.
_________________

Rules on possessive nouns #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:36 am   Rules on possessive nouns

Lilibeth M. Ablanque wrote:
Good day!

Ex. Dennis' guitar Maritess' blouse
Ex. Cris's answer Jess's gun

Thank you and more power.
Daveama

Rules on possessive nouns #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:37 am   Rules on possessive nouns

Lilibeth M. Ablanque wrote:
Good day!

Ex. Dennis' guitar Maritess' blouse
Ex. Cris's answer Jess's gun

Thank you and more power.

It is as simple as that. However, we do have one area of particular difficulty – the matter of singular nouns ending in s. Here, the usual rule is to add apostrophe + s ('s) to the s-ending singular as long as pronouncing the extra syllable (which sounds like "iz" or "ziz") is not awkward. Thus, we have: James's house, Tess's car, and the boss's office. Some s-ending singular nouns, however, become awkward to say if we add "iz" or "ziz" to them. Try sounding out "Jesus(iz) teachings," "Moses(iz) laws," or "Sophocles(iz) plays." It's tough. Thus, in these instances, we use only the apostrophe: Jesus' teachings, Moses' laws, or Sophocles' plays. In such instances, though, we should try to avoid using the possessive case altogether and write: the teachings of Jesus, the laws of Moses, the plays of Sophocles.
Daveama

Rules on possessive nouns #8 (permalink) Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 am   Rules on possessive nouns

I'm surprised of the changes. For years we have been taught that a name of person ending in s when use as a possessive noun will only be added by an apostrophe. say, bag of Tess = Tess' bag. Another change I spotted in the latest English book of my little boy is the possessive noun of sister-in-law. Shouldn't it be sister's-in-law instead of sister-in-law's house? Why these changes? I'm now 43. English has been my favorite subject since elementary till I graduated in college.
Rainbowliselle

Rules on possessive nouns #9 (permalink) Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 am   Rules on possessive nouns

Hello Rainbowliselle,

Daveama's explanation is correct, but these are not 'changes'. These rules applied when I was a child (and I'm older than you) People have simply misunderstood the differences when they have taught them.

There has been no change to the possessive noun of sister-in-law and I think you might be confusing it with the plural of sister-in-law.
Singular to Plural:
sister-in-law > sisters-in-law

Possessive singular:
sister-in-law > My sister-in-law's coat.
Possessive plural:
sisters-in-law > My sisters-in-laws' coats.
_________________

Rules on possessive nouns #10 (permalink) Tue Aug 03, 2010 15:08 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Thank you so much for the clarification Beenees.YOu're right, I got confused with the possesive noun with that of the plural form of sisters-in-law. however, with regard to the name ending in s...i guess it will take awhile before i get used to it. i have to compare our old English books and with the new English books of my kids. Again, thank you so much :)
Rainbowliselle

Rules on possessive nouns #11 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am   Rules on possessive nouns

I think your roofs should be rooves. Sorry if i am wrong, im just grade 4 student.
Taylorswift1835

Rules on possessive nouns #12 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 am   Rules on possessive nouns

think your roofs should be rooves. I'm just a grade 4 student. Sorry if I am wrong.
Taylorswift1835

Prepositions #13 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am   Prepositions

Hi can somebody help regarding the prepositions, such as the following sentences, what is the correct answer? they are : 1. He came_____the salon looking quite different. (OUT OF, FROM OUT OF, BY)2. He asked me to sit_____ the commitee.(BY;FOR THE;ON;) 3. I was_____ the roadside to joburg. (ON;BY;AT;IN)4. Open the book______ page 01(FROM;AT;BY;). 5. Close the door_______ so we can talk.(IN;UP;) 6 . Put him_____for the night. 7.i'll do it ______ the weekend.(OVER;ON;AT;)

the words on brackets are the answers to choose from.
Charles001

Rules on possessive nouns #14 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:59 am   Rules on possessive nouns

Charles001

Rules on possessive nouns #15 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 17:53 pm   Rules on possessive nouns

Hello Charles,

Why don't you tell us what you think the correct answers are, then we can discuss them. You should learn more that way, than just being given the answers.
_________________

explaintion of a sentencebulk = corpulencea bit of prepositionsa bone of contention = a apple of discordLet’s remove our fake garmentsstand bolt uprightas in duty boundrevising of two dinosauric sentenceshead out of the bay/ under sailtie off the boat = moor; cast anchoradjectives (word order)Label parts of speechis there any difference between tell and say?