despite the fact that; in spite of the fact that
directly
yet
until
although

Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?

You can't avoid it because it is enormous... | Idiom: of a short sleep
Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."? #1 (permalink) Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 am   Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", question 3

When he was only thirty years old, he ......... already experienced what most people only experience when they are much older.

(a) has
(b) had
(c) is
(d) was

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", answer 3

When he was only thirty years old, he had already experienced what most people only experience when they are much older.

Correct answer: (b) had

When he was only thirty years old, he was already experienced what most people only experience when they are much older.
_________________________

Can't I say like "I am(was)experienced."?

Dimitros
Dimitros

Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."? #2 (permalink) Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:41 am   Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?

.
Not with a direct object. This sentence has a direct object ('what...older').
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."? #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 am   Can't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?

I am/was experienced (in something). - "Experienced" is an adjective there.

I (had) experienced (something). - "Experienced" is a verb there.
Molly

What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What's the difference between fridge and cooler?What does agree to stay civilian mean?What does the idiom "sell me" mean?Translation of wavelengthdo vs. makeWhat is the difference between footsie and games?What does 'to be with you on that' mean? I agree with you?Meaning of "ill at ease"Is television considered as the correct answer?what's the meaning of blow over?What does "go to the foot of my stairs" mean?what is gambit?