Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of redoing something
aid
contest
repeat
recognition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
The code read from the CAN signal received from the injection ECU... | Difference between these two sentences?
listening exercisestell a friend
difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:48 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

Hi,

Is there difference in meaning between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? Mrs Google say that both phrases are quite popular so when do you use which?

Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the main difference between a fad and a trend?
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

hi Torsten,

I've mulled them over in my mind and believe I would use 'welcome aboard' since 'on board' is to me more nautical in spirit. 'Welcome aboard' is a kind of greeting made to a new member of staff who's just joined an organisation. It could quite easily be used and more than likely has been used to someone joining our site.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for clarifying this issue. From now on I'll be using 'welcome aboard' to greet our new forum members so they won't confuse our site with a ship :-).
Torsten

TOEFL listening lectures: What aspect of USA Today does the professor mainly discuss?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #4 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

Hi Alan and Torsten,

I've just came across this confusion and checked it on the net and found it in our forum :D

Just to confirm again, do you mean 'welcome on board' is only used for a ship while 'welcome aboard' can be used fo both cases?

Thank you very much.

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

Hi Abc,

Yes that's how I understand Alan's explanation.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Baseball
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:12 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

Torsten wrote:
Is there any meaning in difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

any difference in meaning?
Tofu
I'm a Communicator ;-)

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

today I receive a email from my colleague overseas , i am also confused about the " welcom on board"
i want to know ,what's kind of reply will be better?
Grace1210

difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'? #8 (permalink) Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:36 am   difference between 'welcome aboard' and 'welcome on board'?

See post #2
Language Coach

The code read from the CAN signal received from the injection ECU... | Difference between these two sentences?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
LIKE BETTER vs. LIKE MOREpush of pikesameWould you give me a leg up?give free (full) scope toNext ... / The next...Beneficient vs Benevolent[Chile mining accident] The thirst for information extends beyond the family...what does it mean?could you check my grammar?talk to yourselfMascot vs Talismanrephrase