duplicate; photostat
array
competitor
draw
copy

Usage of causative get, have and make

But this sort of made it quite a lot of a fun in the beginning? | Round or Around?
Usage of causative get, have and make #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:20 am   Usage of causative get, have and make

Hey Everyone...How's it going?

Sometimes English is quite complicated and this is the case with this topic. The rule says, "Use the Causative to show that one person causes another person to do something". Ex: I got my sister to help me, at this point everything looks great. However, regarding grammar rules, they say, " With get, use an object and an infinitive. With have, use an object and a base form of a verb." So, same example, "I had my sister help."Now I wonder, Why does it have to be like that? I mean, wouldn't be right to say, "I had my sister help ME" For me it sounds much better in this way, but you are the ones who know about it. The example's been taken from a grammar book.

Plus, make in this "causative thing" suggest an obligation. So same example I've been using, "I made my sister help me finish the job." If you notice, you in this case use the object "ME", I have no clue WHY...

So, I hope someone can explain this to me and if it is possible to bring up some extra examples. That would be so great...

Thanks in advance!
_________________
Sergio M.
"Life is too short to grieve in sorrow"
Serzige

Usage of causative get, have and make #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:30 am   Usage of causative get, have and make

.
The grammar book did not intend to mislead. Either is fine: I had/made my sister help (me) finish. But of course, 'me' identifies who was helped.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Usage of causative get, have and make #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:00 am   Usage of causative get, have and make

hi everyone, i want someone to help me distinguish between "must" and "have to".
thanks alot
Engy

Usage of causative get, have and make #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:15 am   Usage of causative get, have and make

.
Hello, Engy-- and welcome to English-test.net. When you have a question on a new grammar topic, please start a new thread. Thanks.
.
_________________

Usage of causative get, have and make #5 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 16:09 pm   Usage of causative get, have and make

Thanks Mr. Micawber! But in the sentence, I had/made my sister help (me) finish the ME (object) is optional or it's necessary, what would be?
_________________
Sergio M.
"Life is too short to grieve in sorrow"
Serzige

Usage of causative get, have and make #6 (permalink) Wed Sep 10, 2008 17:21 pm   Usage of causative get, have and make

Hi Serzige

Any of these are possible, for example:

I had/made my sister help.
I had/made my sister help with that.
I had/made my sister help finish that.
I had/made my sister help me.
I had/made my sister help me with that.
I had/made my sister help me finish that.

You can replace "me" with other pronouns (e.g. you/him/her/us/them) depending on who received the help.
.
_________________

Sentences: I have done complete my study. Iím from India its capital is Delhi...How mild is darn compared to damn?Has your Project expanded? - is this correct.To dismantle a box?Simple present tense auxiliar verbs.To be + verb+ing/verb3 or Being + past form of the verbPrologue or Introduction?dear or not?There seem to have been no eye-witnesses to the murder, ...?Phrase: There are ... more beautiful flowers in that garden.Look back (at)have you heard dry joke?Smell as continuous