ability to speak and write easily; eloquence; articulateness; gracefulness
carpenter
announcement
fluency
prerogative

Difference between say and tell

Meaning of refrigerator | Using the word through
Difference between say and tell #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 08, 2005 21:46 pm   Difference between say and tell

Test No. incompl/inter-15 "Popular Idioms (2) Garden", question 2

The grass is always ......... on the other side.

(a) blacker
(b) further
(c) greener
(d) longer

Test No. incompl/inter-15 "Popular Idioms (2) Garden", answer 2

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Correct answer: (c) greener
_________________________

what is thew difference between tell and say
Ahmed Wasiry

Difference between say and tell #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 09, 2005 22:34 pm   Difference between say and tell

Say is used in the sense of speak often used in indirect speech: She said that she would come or questions about someone's words: What did you say? Tell is used more in the sense of inform and usually has an object: He told me he would come or She told the children a story.

To see how the verb tell works, have a look at the piece I've written on the site under the heading ESL lessons and the item called Indirect Speech.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between say and tell #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 21:27 pm   Difference between say and tell

hi dears
we have in persian an idiom with the same notion i mean for those people who never seem happy with what they have and always think that other people have a better situation than they have .we express this notion in this idiom:neighbor's hen is always goose :)
Goodmahsa

Location: Iran

Difference between say and tell #4 (permalink) Fri Jul 31, 2009 23:43 pm   Difference between say and tell

thanks Alan
_________________
live quite life
Honey2

Location: Kingdom of saudi arabia

Difference between say and tell #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 21, 2010 15:36 pm   Difference between say and tell

In Vietnam, we also have an idiom with the same meaning. It is: " he who stands on a mountain looks towards another one." Oops, I don't know how to convey it in English correctly but in Vietnamese you can write:" đứng ni ny trng ni nọ." for the same expression.
Ft_Louie

Difference between say and tell #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 17, 2011 17:17 pm   Difference between say and tell

What does this idiom mean?

Thank You.

Difference between say and tell #7 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2011 17:35 pm   Difference between say and tell

Saneta wrote:

What does this idiom mean?

Thank You.
Jusmine

Difference between say and tell #8 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2011 18:38 pm   Difference between say and tell

It means the other side (of an argument, point of view or position) always seems to be better than the side you are on.
_________________

spreading it on kind of thickDone and stuffyou ratted me outthe arduous taskWouldAnother factor for change has been international equity investorsturned upside down with turmoilregulation or regular?"under no account" vs "on no account"Usage and meaning of "fall through"What happened to you then?What is "business hours"?What does "business end user" mean?