inquisitive; desiring to know and understand; odd; strange; rare
empty
level
colloquial
curious

"In the bus" or "on the bus"

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

He's a square | "that" as "and"
"In the bus" or "on the bus" #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 19:40 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

HI

Would you say that both of the following sentences are correct and natural?

1- I was in the bus when the accident took place
2- I was on the bus when the accident took place.

Many thanks,

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 21:48 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi Tom

"On the bus" is a commonly used collocation, of course. However, I'd say you could use either one. What's the broader context? I'd say the use of "in" will focus the idea more exclusively and literally on the idea of "inside" (rather than "outside").
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
"In the bus" or "on the bus" #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 22:02 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi, Amy

So, if somebody from work calls me on my cell phone to inquire where I am (suppose I'm running late), I can reply:
I'm on the bus/trolleybus/tram right now, in two minutes will be at work

Thanks !

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 22:06 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi Alex

Yes, I'd use "on" to indicate that I am currently a passenger on a bus/train/trolley.
.
_________________

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #5 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 22:15 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Thank you, Amy

In fact, it is a very frequently used phrase, seeing as (at least in my country) people often call each other on cellular phones only to ask where they are at the moment. :) (like "where are you?" "I'm on the bus")

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #6 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 22:55 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

lost_soul wrote:

Not only in your country, believe me. This is what you'd here any given day of the week (of course, you don't usually hear the person on the other end):

'Hel-lo!'
...
'Hey Jimmy, how's tricks.'
...
'I'm on the 15B into town, ya know, still on Rathgar Road stuck in bleedin' traffic just before the roundabout in Rathmines, ya know, probably another 5 to 10 minutes to Swan Centre I'd say, so it'd be like 5ish till I get to Dame Street, right, but I'll sure meet ya some time between half 5 and 6 at the Burger King on Grafton, I reckon.'
...
'Oh, yer not coming out tonight. Fair play to you, not a worry, talk to ya soon.'
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #7 (permalink) Sun Sep 14, 2008 23:43 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

.
On the off chance that you're all misinterpreting my first post, the expression "on the bus" is definitely the most likely collocation you'll hear. It's very commonly used.

However, a possible use of "in" cannot be completely ruled out. The broader context could actually make "in" more appropriate.
.
_________________

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #8 (permalink) Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 am   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi Amy,
Could you please be more specific about the broader context?

Many thanks,
Nessie
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #9 (permalink) Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:19 am   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

lost_soul wrote:
Hi, Amy

Thanks !

Yes. "One the bus" normally has the meaning of "I'm traveling".
Molly

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #10 (permalink) Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 am   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi Molly,

I think you've hit the nail on the head - on the bus = travelling by bus. In the/a bus = location inside the bus.

_________________

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #11 (permalink) Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:06 am   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

Hi Molly,

Indeed. And what about "I'm in/on the toilet"? :oops: :wink:

In this context:

in the = location
on the = location and action
Molly

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #12 (permalink) Mon Sep 15, 2008 13:33 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

nessie wrote:
Hi Amy,Could you please be more specific about the broader context?
Hi Nessie

Using "on the bus" includes the general idea of "in" but also focuses on the idea of the bus as a means of transportation. Depending on the broader context, you might want to focus exclusively on the idea of physically being inside the bus (in contrast to being outside the bus). Something like this, perhaps:

We had broken down, and while we were waiting in the breakdown lane for road service, a tractor-trailer nearly sideswiped our bus. The truck hit six of the people who'd left the bus. All six of them died. Fortunately, I was in the bus when the accident took place, and that probably saved my life. If I'd been standing next to the bus like those other six people, that truck might have killed me too!
.
_________________

'on the Bus' or 'in the Bus' #13 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 17:08 pm   'on the Bus' or 'in the Bus'

Which of the following is correct?
i) I'm sitting on the bus.
ii) I'm sitting in the bus.
Leong187

'on the Bus' or 'in the Bus' #14 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 17:13 pm   'on the Bus' or 'in the Bus'

People usually say "on the bus." Actually, I've never heard anybody say "in the bus." I never thought about this before, but I guess it's pretty odd.
Mordant

Location: United States

"In the bus" or "on the bus" #15 (permalink) Wed Jun 09, 2010 17:25 pm   "In the bus" or "on the bus"

So, is it correct to say 'I'm sitting on the car'?
Leong187

He's a square | "that" as "and"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Right,True,correct,realperilously vs dangerouslyhelp to proofread this sentencecontent VS contentedput a plug in the jugPlease help me)Which one is correct?Question about GRE® and TOEFL®why the p. cont?there’s more content than you can shake a stick atenglish literal ways of writingparaphrasing of one sentence 12the highway of Mammon and the auxiliary gods