Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

advisor (adviser); counselor; coach; person who gives professional advice
thread
pay
consultant
exhibition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between contents and ingredients

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
goof up vs. goof off | Usage of "razzle dazzle"
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between contents and ingredients #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 10, 2005 16:56 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 6

If you're really interested, I'm sure the chef will tell you the ......... of that dish.

(a) ingredients
(b) contents
(c) make-up
(d) composition

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 6

If you're really interested, I'm sure the chef will tell you the ingredients of that dish.

Correct answer: (a) ingredients

Your answer was: incorrect
If you're really interested, I'm sure the chef will tell you the contents of that dish.

What's deffence between contents and ingredients? Why word ingredients in this sentence is correct?
Phuong Lam

Difference between contents and ingredients #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 10, 2005 17:42 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

Contents would be for what is inside a book or a box/package. Ingredients for the things you need to make a meal.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between contents and ingredients #3 (permalink) Mon Sep 18, 2006 20:52 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

And what about a sandwich? How is it right to say: the contents of the sandwich or the ingredients of a sandwich???
Natzin

Filling #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:06 pm   Filling

Hi Natzin

The British Sandwich Association defines a sandwich as:

"Any form of bread with a filling, generally assembled cold - to include traditional wedge sandwiches, as well as filled rolls, baguettes, pitta, bloomers, wraps, bagels and the like, but not burgers and other products assembled and consumed hot. Hot eating sandwiches are also included." :D

Amy

Difference between contents and ingredients #5 (permalink) Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:20 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

Hi Yankee :wink:

Thank you very much for the quick reply, but I'm still missing the correct word (may be because I'm just stupid :roll: ) is it "ingredient" or "contents" ???
Natzin

Difference between contents and ingredients #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 18, 2006 22:41 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

Hi

The British Sandwich Association uses neither "ingredients" nor "contents", but rather "filling"!

Various dictionaries also say that what's in between the two pieces of bread of a sandwich is called "filling".

If you want to refer to more than what is in between the two pieces of bread (in other words, everything that makes up the sandwich - including the bread), then you might be able to say "ingredients". I myself would say "sandwich fixings" in that case. ;)

Amy

Difference between contents and ingredients #7 (permalink) Mon Sep 18, 2006 23:06 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

Well, this is I must say, the best possible answer! Thank you very much for your thorough answer! I owe you one, :wink:
Natzin

Difference between contents and ingredients #8 (permalink) Sun Jul 19, 2009 21:33 pm   Difference between contents and ingredients

hi yankee
thanx for your explanations but just one point :according to your explanations when a sandwich serves hot everything that makes up it,is called ingredients but after a period of time when the same sandwich got cold everything that makes up it is called filling!!!!! :!: :?:
I'm in a muddle please correct me if I'm wrong thanx in advance :)
Goodmahsa
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between contents and ingredients #9 (permalink) Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:40 am   Difference between contents and ingredients

'Heterogeneous and homogeneous' may be the difference between content/filling and ingrdients. best of luck, nanucbe
Nanucbe
I'm here quite often ;-)

goof up vs. goof off | Usage of "razzle dazzle"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Does elegant means the way of serving the food?Please explain why out of instead top? is the out of same as top?Meaning of the idiom "lion's share of the food"I want learn the slang languageMeaning of palHow can I see my progress in English tests that I finished it?Is "hits" a gay term for men?The reason for usage 'too'?'raise fund for the poor' or 'raise funds'?Meaning of "Lost my lunch"Meaning of "look what the ... dragged in"Use the "emotion" instead of feelingPhrasal verb "come from"