Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

journals and newspapers collectively; act or process of printing
exchange
press
knowledge
surplus
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Done my piece vs. done my bit

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What are reported commands? | whats the difference between do afters and do overs?
listening exercisestell a friend
Done my piece vs. done my bit #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 am   Done my piece vs. done my bit

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #559 "English Slang Idioms (197)", question 7

"We are not ready to present our findings to the committee yet. We still need to conduct some more tests to verify the validity of our work even more. I have done my ......... and have spoken to the head of the chemistry department to have arrange for an independent chemist to review our work. Please talk amongst yourselves while I answer this call to see what else we can do," Linus said to the team.

(a) piece
(b) homework
(c) action
(d) bit

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #559 "English Slang Idioms (197)", answer 7

"We are not ready to present our findings to the committee yet. We still need to conduct some more tests to verify the validity of our work even more. I have done my bit and have spoken to the head of the chemistry department to have arrange for an independent chemist to review our work. Please talk amongst yourselves while I answer this call to see what else we can do," Linus said to the team.

Correct answer: (d) bit

why not piece here.elaborate please
Bitty

Done my piece vs. done my bit #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:15 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

The idiom is 'do one's bit' = do one's share or part of an effort.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Done my piece vs. done my bit #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:30 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

There seems to be typo in that one "have arrange".

"To verify the validity of X even more" doesn't sound quite right; you can verify the validity of X, or you can't.

Also, "I've done my bit" would usually signal that you had done all that was required of you; but that does not accord with the context.

I wonder too why "homework" wouldn't be a suitable answer.

(Sorry to be critical; but as Linus has discovered, peer review is sometimes an advantageous discomfort.)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Done my piece vs. done my bit #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:34 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

Thanks, MrP. I tried to get to it earlier, but it is out of my reach. Someone will clean it up soon.

What are reported commands? | whats the difference between do afters and do overs?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Balance her checkbook correct?intense looks vs. dirty looks?What does 'love is blind' mean?What does 'touch-ups' mean?What does 'to think on his feet' mean?What does this sentence mean: That's about the kind of it?What does mimicked mean?How many words do I know?What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What's the difference between fridge and cooler?What does agree to stay civilian mean?What does the idiom "sell me" mean?Translation of wavelength