journals and newspapers collectively; act or process of printing
exchange
press
knowledge
surplus

Done my piece vs. done my bit

What are reported commands? | whats the difference between do afters and do overs?
Done my piece vs. done my bit #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 am   Done my piece vs. done my bit

"We are not ready to present our findings to the committee yet. We still need to conduct some more tests to verify the validity of our work even more. I have done my ......... and have spoken to the head of the chemistry department to have arrange for an independent chemist to review our work. Please talk amongst yourselves while I answer this call to see what else we can do," Linus said to the team.

(a) piece
(b) homework
(c) action
(d) bit

"We are not ready to present our findings to the committee yet. We still need to conduct some more tests to verify the validity of our work even more. I have done my bit and have spoken to the head of the chemistry department to have arrange for an independent chemist to review our work. Please talk amongst yourselves while I answer this call to see what else we can do," Linus said to the team.

Correct answer: (d) bit
_________________________

why not piece here.elaborate please
Bitty

Done my piece vs. done my bit #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:15 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

.
The idiom is 'do one's bit' = do one's share or part of an effort.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Done my piece vs. done my bit #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:30 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

There seems to be typo in that one "have arrange".

"To verify the validity of X even more" doesn't sound quite right; you can verify the validity of X, or you can't.

Also, "I've done my bit" would usually signal that you had done all that was required of you; but that does not accord with the context.

I wonder too why "homework" wouldn't be a suitable answer.

(Sorry to be critical; but as Linus has discovered, peer review is sometimes an advantageous discomfort.)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Done my piece vs. done my bit #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:34 pm   Done my piece vs. done my bit

.
Thanks, MrP. I tried to get to it earlier, but it is out of my reach. Someone will clean it up soon.
.
_________________

Balance her checkbook correct?intense looks vs. dirty looks?What does 'love is blind' mean?What does 'touch-ups' mean?What does 'to think on his feet' mean?What does this sentence mean: That's about the kind of it?What does mimicked mean?How many words do I know?What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What's the difference between fridge and cooler?What does agree to stay civilian mean?What does the idiom "sell me" mean?Translation of wavelength