Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to contract; to empower; to authorize; to confer
recap
code
estimate
commission
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

whats the difference between do afters and do overs?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Done my piece vs. done my bit | 'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"
listening exercisestell a friend
whats the difference between do afters and do overs? #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 am   whats the difference between do afters and do overs?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #559 "English Slang Idioms (197)", question 10

Adrenaline shot through his body and the ability to control his appendages was becoming increasingly more difficult in the icy water. He knew that if he didn't rescue the people from the ocean right now, there would be no hope for them due to hypothermia, among other things. There were no do ......... when the ocean was this turbulent and cold.

(a) afters
(b) agains
(c) overs
(d) repeats

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #559 "English Slang Idioms (197)", answer 10

Adrenaline shot through his body and the ability to control his appendages was becoming increasingly more difficult in the icy water. He knew that if he didn't rescue the people from the ocean right now, there would be no hope for them due to hypothermia, among other things. There were no do overs when the ocean was this turbulent and cold.

Correct answer: (c) overs

whats the difference between do afters and do overs?
please specify
pravash
prahvash

whats the difference between do afters and do overs? #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 17, 2008 15:57 pm   whats the difference between do afters and do overs?

A 'do over' is a chance or opportunity to repeat or redo something that you failed to do, or didn't do as well as you would have liked to have done. Sort of like a mulligan in golf.

I don't think there is such a phrase as a 'do after', it was just a fake answer put in the test for more choices.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Done my piece vs. done my bit | 'it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Balance her checkbook correct?What exactly is a bank statement?intense looks vs. dirty looks?What does 'love is blind' mean?What does 'touch-ups' mean?What does 'to think on his feet' mean?What does this sentence mean: That's about the kind of it?What does mimicked mean?What are reported commands?How many words do I know?What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What's the difference between fridge and cooler?What does agree to stay civilian mean?