intermediate to; common; shared
above
below
between
save

intense looks vs. dirty looks?

What does this sentence mean: That's about the kind of it? | Idiom: not have a leg to stand on
intense looks vs. dirty looks? #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 am   intense looks vs. dirty looks?

He was shocked at some of the clientele who wandered into his restaurant. He hoped, by providing the proper ambience, rich furnishings and high-priced specialty dishes he would keep the raucous riff-raff away from his business. Unfortunately, his latest customers had all been rude, inappropriately-attired college students that had the tendency to scare away the more refined diners and his ......... looks had not been enough to deter them from coming back.

(a) intense
(b) moody
(c) dirty
(d) fawning

He was shocked at some of the clientele who wandered into his restaurant. He hoped, by providing the proper ambience, rich furnishings and high-priced specialty dishes he would keep the raucous riff-raff away from his business. Unfortunately, his latest customers had all been rude, inappropriately-attired college students that had the tendency to scare away the more refined diners and his dirty looks had not been enough to deter them from coming back.

Correct answer: (c) dirty
_________________________

why not intense looks?
Randy

intense looks vs. dirty looks? #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:22 pm   intense looks vs. dirty looks?

.
It is not idiomatic, and it does not convey any clear meaning here.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Are all these idioms originally from Shakespeare?come about vs come acrossdefinition for economicsUsage of sensibleMoney burns a hole in his pockets? What kind of idiom is this?Balance her checkbook correct?What exactly is a bank statement?What's the difference between criticised and claimed?What does 'love is blind' mean?What does 'touch-ups' mean?What does 'to think on his feet' mean?whats the difference between do afters and do overs?Done my piece vs. done my bit