to fit; to adapt; to adjust; to tune; to supply with an explanatory device
mitigate
key
reduce
reason

Random choice

I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of time | to keep his creditors at bay
Random choice #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:30 am   Random choice

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 9

We simply didn't know what to choose for our main dish so in the end we made a ......... choice.

(a) random
(b) casual
(c) formal
(d) straight

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 9

We simply didn't know what to choose for our main dish so in the end we made a random choice.

Correct answer: (a) random

We simply didn't know what to choose for our main dish so in the end we made a casual choice.
_________________________

why not casual?
buick

Casual/random #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:14 am   Casual/random

Random means that it is done without thinking and without any prior calculation. Casual means relaxed/informal. Logically you can't really make a casual choice because after all the choice has been made.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Random choice #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 15:58 pm   Random choice

dear Alan
i don`t understand why casual is wrong:(
i think it can be an appropriate answer as a usual or everyday choice not random choice
could you please explain it to me ?

best regard
niloo
Niloufar1

Location: Iran

Random choice #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 22:58 pm   Random choice

'Casual' doesn't work here because it suggests we didn't really care what we chose but here 'random' is appropriate here because we just chose something by chance without thinking.

_________________

Random choice #5 (permalink) Thu Feb 21, 2013 0:59 am   Random choice

Who chooses a meal without thinking? No one. But I think, it is more appropriate answer.

Nilioufar, there are tons of exceptions in English, just memorize them. Language is not a math or science which follows always some certain rules.

Monk
Monkaz

Random choice #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am   Random choice

Monkaz wrote:
Who chooses a meal without thinking? No one. But I think, it is a more appropriate answer.

Nilioufar, there are tons of exceptions in English, just memorize them. Language is not a math or science which always follows some certain rules.

TOEIC short conversations: Booking a hotel room
_________________
Test Of English for International Communication
TOEIC Preparation & TOEIC Vocabulary

Random choice #7 (permalink) Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 am   Random choice

Who chooses a meal without thinking? No one
.

Maybe my explanation doesn't exactly convey what I wanted to say. I feel that 'random' is appropriate because it suggests you look at a list of main dishes and then possibly close your eyes and put your finger down on the list and that is the one you choose. That's really what I meant by 'not thinking'.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.I am glad that he got his just desserts.it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.that are featured for no other apparent reasonjump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"what does sole mean?Question tag: she does, does she?