Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sufficient; adequate
enough
overt
indoor
guilty
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between hard and hardly

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Slice vs. portion | Test her ability
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between hard and hardly #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2005 13:33 pm   Difference between hard and hardly

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", question 8

I don't think that's going to be ..........

(a) hard
(b) hazard
(c) hardship
(d) hardly

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", answer 8

I don't think that's going to be hard.

Correct answer: (a) hard

why we use hardly??
narges hemmati

Difference between hard and hardly #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 11, 2005 17:16 pm   Difference between hard and hardly

Hard is an adjective and can either mean difficult or solid as in a hard exercise or a hard rock. Hardly is an adverb and means almost not at all/scarcely as in He is only a baby so naturally he can hardly speak.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between hard and hardly #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:09 am   Difference between hard and hardly

with hardly the word order changes

The roadmen work hard.

Well, actually they are sweating and we see them giving their best

The roadmen hardly work.

They don't take great pains. Maybe they're chattering, and relaxing
Michael

Difference between hard and hardly #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 am   Difference between hard and hardly

hello
can u explain that, when we use the word "hardly" (adverb)?

thanks...
Rae Sita
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between hard and hardly #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:07 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

92 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Rae,

'Hardly' as an adverb suggests 'almost not at all' and can be related to 'scarcely' and 'barely'. Look at these sentences: He hardly works at all because he only goes to the office once a week. He hardly understands a word of Spanish at the moment because he only started learning it two weeks ago.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between hard and hardly #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Hi ,

In what context one should use hazard ?
Vinod.gandhi

Difference between hard and hardly #7 (permalink) Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 am   Difference between hard and hardly

How about the hardship, please explain to me about it.
Thank so much.
Bachyen

Difference between hard and hardly #8 (permalink) Wed May 26, 2010 8:45 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Quote:
In what context one should use hazard ?

For example:
If you work at a nuclear power plant, you have many occupational hazards, because you're handling hazardous materials on a day-to-day basis.
Leaving a dead body in the street like that poses a grave biological hazard - passers-by can get sick.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between hard and hardly #9 (permalink) Wed May 26, 2010 8:51 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Bachyen wrote:
How about the hardship, please explain to me about it.
Thank so much.

First and foremost, hardship is a countable noun, so you cant use it in the original sentence because there's no "a".
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Difference between hard and hardly #10 (permalink) Thu May 27, 2010 12:03 pm   Difference between hard and hardly

Thank so much for your reply.
Bachyen

Difference between hard and hardly #11 (permalink) Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Dear Alan.

He hardly works means He does not work sincerly or honestly?
that means he just works ?
regards Suchi.
Chinchu S Gireesh

Difference between hard and hardly #12 (permalink) Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:55 am   Difference between hard and hardly

I hardly go to the cinema. I'd rather stay at home.
I mean I rarely go to the movie theatre.
Germannn

Difference between hard and hardly #13 (permalink) Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Chinchu S Gireesh wrote:
Dear Alan.

He hardly works means He does not work sincerly or honestly?
regards Suchi.

He doesn't work very often/much.
Language Coach

Difference between hard and hardly #14 (permalink) Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Chinchu S Gireesh wrote:
Dear Alan.

He hardly works means He does not work sincerely or honestly?
regards Suchi.

Hi Suchi,

The adverb 'hardly' in your sentence suggests that he almost doesn't do any work.

If there is a sound or a noise from cars on the motorway that is a long way away, you can't it hear it clearly because it is not near you and you would say: I can hardly hear the sound of the traffic.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between hard and hardly #15 (permalink) Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:54 am   Difference between hard and hardly

Does "working hardly" and "hardly working" mean the same? i.e he doesn't work very often or "working hardly" means he is working very hard. Kindly clarify.
Swathis

Slice vs. portion | Test her ability
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
smotherednot as pronounced as it is currentlyThere's no hope for me?try on vs. try outIf you're not ready in five minutes, you're on your own...What does 'his little grey cells' mean?provision vs. providerWhat does "he'd just stride all over them" mean?Expression on your face...Phrase: "What are you on about?"Pay an accountI just can't get across to her vs. get through to herMeaning of void