to come to an end; to finish; to terminate
reprove
expire
collaborate
address

What is the difference between 'flavour' and 'flavours'?

How can a business use a data processing center? | completely vs usually; quickly
What is the difference between 'flavour' and 'flavours'? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:02 am   What is the difference between 'flavour' and 'flavours'?

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 4

There's something about the ......... of that particular dish that makes it memorable.

(a) flavour
(b) flavoured
(c) flavouring
(d) flavours

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 4

There's something about the flavour of that particular dish that makes it memorable.

Correct answer: (a) flavour

There's something about the flavours of that particular dish that makes it memorable.
_________________________

Dear
why the answer flavour?
chanmyon

Flavour #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:28 am   Flavour

The use of the singular flavour here is best because I am talking about the general taste and not the particular taste of separate items on the plate.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Flavour #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 09, 2005 13:00 pm   Flavour

why is flavouring a wrong word here? I mean that the taste is nice, the cook is praiseworthy. Gerund(?) Or my way of thinking is too complicated?
Zsolt

Flavour #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 09, 2005 19:42 pm   Flavour

Let's go through them:

flavour is the taste in general that you sense when you eat something, which is the correct one here.
favoured could mean that someone has put a particular flavour in the food
flavouring is the process of putting flavour into food
flavours refers to a range of different flavours - not the right one here because the verb is singular
_________________

A related question... #5 (permalink) Wed Aug 10, 2005 15:08 pm   A related question...

Hey there Alan, on a related question....

Do you say, set the dishes or put the dishes when having dinner? I know for a fact that you can set the table but.....
Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Set/put #6 (permalink) Wed Aug 10, 2005 15:20 pm   Set/put

This is probably an American/British English thing but I can only speak for British English and I would put the dishes on the table and also in preparation I would lay the table. But there you go!

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

What is the difference between 'flavour' and 'flavours'? #7 (permalink) Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:15 am   What is the difference between 'flavour' and 'flavours'?

thanks mr. alan i see right now
Irwan

Location: Tangerang

Can we say 'at saturday night'?pounded or knocked?expressionsn vs conditionsExpression: 'To make up one's mind'Expression 'to take (something) into consideration'Example with "call it a day"daresay, not "dare say"Difference between "boarding gate" and "check-in counter"Meaning of "right down"What does 'stick to your guns' mean?Give me a hand means help me?'It's no small wonder' vs 'It's no wonder'"grap bag" vs "grab bag"