lifeless; spiritless
ideal
alive
inanimate
versatile

usage of "best interest"

A negative question, how do i answer? | Sentence: Anything is good for getting a promotion
usage of "best interest" #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 28, 2008 21:04 pm   usage of "best interest"

Can I say this phrase: Your best interest lies in getting this job done as soon as possible ? (e.g. your best bet is to get this job done as soon as possible)

Thanks in advance.

usage of "best interest" #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 28, 2008 21:20 pm   usage of "best interest"

Hi Alex

To me that wording would be quite unusual. The usual wording would be this:
It is in your best interest to get this job done as soon as possible.

I might use "your best bet" if I thought there were several reasonably good options, but that one of them was the best in my opinion. The sentence I wrote with "in your best interest" tends to suggest that I think only one option is good, and that anything else might be detrimental to you.

That's my take.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
usage of "best interest" #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 28, 2008 22:14 pm   usage of "best interest"

Hi, Amy

Thanks a lot !

usage of "best interest" #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 28, 2008 22:58 pm   usage of "best interest"

That's my take.

Here are a few examples of a similar structure. What's your take on those?

Caution: The magnitude of penalties can be affected by mitigating factors. These can include such issues as whether the business knowingly violated or willfully evaded the intent of the law. Your best interests lie in knowing exactly what is required of your business by getting the specific information you need from your Regional Water Quality Control Board.

http://www.sonoma-county.org/edb/regguide/regindustrialstorm.htm

That's OK, because your best interests lie in concentrating on what you do best and filling in the rest. ...

New Business Models for the New Economy By John A. Tuccillo

People are seldom fired, or quit, or are unproductive because they can't do the job. These things happen because of interpersonal conflicts. As a manager or supervisor, your best interests lie in developing the most stable, productive staff possible. Situational Leadership is an approach that can help.

http://www.fundamentallyspeaking.com/action/situationalleadership.htm
Molly

Doubts in RepliesWhere is your family?anyway vs anyways"go" and "go to"preposition of datetake time v. take the timei would like you to do something?to go on a hliday vs. to go for a holidayExpression 'I had no say...'Diffence between Say and SaysWhat does it mean "by the way"?each time or every time?difference between "guidlines" and "rules"