worldwide; universal; of the whole world
inherent
bankrupt
global
vivid

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

defiant "about" and "to do" | Underneath the grave lay his body.
Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

At the entrance to the Ashram we find an imposing 10 foot tall,black stone idol of Lord Krishna on a pedestal.
can you please explain why cant we use 10 feet here?and please also take little trouble to answer where we can use at the entrance to and at the entrance of
Prince.charms

can anyone explain this? #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 am   can anyone explain this?

in the above sentence why cant we use 10 feet tall??
and where can we use at the entrance to and at the entrance of
Prince.charms

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
can anyone explain this? #3 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:47 am   can anyone explain this?

Humm!
Extremely difficult !

Can I have the answer ?

With regards -
Ujjawal
Ujjawalranjan

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:50 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

what i think had the sentence been ending with 10 feet tall, then it would have appeared correct.take for example,at the entrance to the Ashram we find a black stone idol of Lord Krishna on a pedestal that was 10 feet tall.here we can use feet instead of foot.
Prince.charms

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #5 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:26 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

got the ans. adjectives cant take plural forms.tall is an adjective and 10 foot tall is also an adjective.hence we cant place 10 feet here.cheerz
Prince.charms

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

at the entrance to = at the entrance which leads into...

and at the entrance of = at the entrance which belongs to/is part of ...
Molly

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:30 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

prince.charms wrote:
.hence we cant place 10 feet here.

Don't run away with this idea, I think it is wrong.
I'm not an expert but I heard it used many a time.
And Google seems to stand by this - I got several times more hits for "ten feet tall" than for "ten foot tall".

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #8 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:34 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

So are you saying we can use "a six feet tall man"?
Molly

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #9 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

Molly wrote:

Ops, I didn't notice that.
I was thinking of something along the lines of "he was ten feet tall".

In your case, I think you need to use "foot" :)

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #10 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 am   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

In your case, I think you need to use "foot"

Indeed you do. Foot is singular when it's part of a compound modifier.
Molly

Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet #11 (permalink) Tue Sep 30, 2008 21:43 pm   Grammar question: 10 foot vs. 10 feet

So are other quantities.
They set sail on a 3-hour tour on a 50-foot boat with a 20-pound supply of peel-and-eat shrimp, the last stop of their 6-month vacation to celebrate the successful removal of the 4-pound tumor from their 9-year-old daughter, before returning to their 30,000-square-foot mansion which boasted an 80,000-gallon swimming pool.
Barb_D

I've had a heavy breakfast?Want + Ving or Want + VedThe use of "would"Difaiant the phrase: do you know any phrase?"Donít worry, dear. Iíll soon have the car ... again"helpful with OR toa big night lifeas loud / loudly as we couldpodium stage - in sportsDo you use this expression? - "stand before"Do your use this form? - 'the bests'Usage of "37i m"Underneath the grave lay his body.