to grow older; to mature
detail
authorize
age
scramble

Was he wearing long hair?

difference between "chief" and "boss" | Difference between to establish a constitution and enact a constitution
Was he wearing long hair? #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:01 am   Was he wearing long hair?

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", question 4

Did you notice any particular characteristics about the thief - was he wearing long hair?

(a) Did
(b) notice
(c) characteristics
(d) was he wearing

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 4

Did you notice any particular characteristics about the thief - did he have long hair?

Correct entry: did he have
The error was: (d) was he wearing

About "Did you notice any particular did he have about the thief- was he wearing long hair ?

Hi Alan !

Thank you very very much for your previous answer.
Could you please explain me more about this sentence- and the phrase "did he have" in particular ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Marc "from Marseille"

PS : I've aimed too high, haven't I?
Marco

Did he have long hair? #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:53 am   Did he have long hair?

Dear Marco,

You are referring to this sentence, aren't you?

Did you notice any particular characteristics about the thief - was he wearing long hair? (Errors in Sentences, Advanced Level, Question 4)

ERL/EFL test Admire his Achievement

TOEIC listening, photographs: An outdoor market

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Did he have long hair? #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 16:32 pm   Did he have long hair?

Torsten wrote:
Dear Marco,

ERL/EFL test Admire his Achievement

Yes, I am
Have a nice Sunday

Marc
Marco

Wearing long hair? #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 16:37 pm   Wearing long hair?

Marco,

Instead of saying '... was he wearing long hair?' it's better to use '.... did he have long hair?' because the verb to wear goes together with clothes as in '.... he was wearing a white T-shirt and a baseball cap.'

Does this answer your question?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Viewing the city skyline

Did he have long hair? #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 19:24 pm   Did he have long hair?

Marco wrote:
Torsten wrote:
Dear Marco,

ERL/EFL test Admire his Achievement

Yes, I am
Have a nice Sunday

Marc

Hi Torsten!!

Thank you for your prompt reply and OK for your explanations - but
where you wrote what should had been the right answer you placed "did he have" just before "about the thief!!!" That's why I didn't understand!!
Please have a look on it !!!
Am I wrong ?
Thank you again for your quick reply (It's Sunday To-day !!)

Nice evening

Marc
Marco

He had long hair #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2004 19:51 pm   He had long hair

Hi Marc,

Now I got your point. Please check again. Thanks for your support.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Workers on the side of a building

Was he wearing long hair? #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:36 am   Was he wearing long hair?

But why shouldn't we write "Did you notice any particular characteristics OF the thief" => isn't "about" wrong? :O
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Was he wearing long hair? #8 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:50 am   Was he wearing long hair?

Hi Nessie

I'd say 'of' would definitely be the more commonly used preposition. 'About' would be very common in a sentence worded like this:
Did you notice anything about the thief?

I'd say it may have been the word 'any' in the test sentence that triggered the author's use of the word 'about'.
_________________

Was he wearing long hair? #9 (permalink) Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:24 am   Was he wearing long hair?

Thanks a lot, Amy, I agree with you that "about" is quite all right in your sentence ("Did you notice anything about the thief?") but I still feel the sentence "Did you notice any particular characteristics about the thief" so strange...
May I have Alan's idea, please?
Many thanks to you both :)
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Expression 'Make their minds up'Is there such a term as "try back"?since vs whilewhat the elements involve in the study of organistional behaviour?"prints developed" vs "developed"meaning of 'Bring out'word Net Assets used in sentencesWhat part of speech is the word to?differences between "outskirts" and "suburb"Are you sure the main verb should be 'agree' and not 'argue'?meaning of joggingMeaning of "he radio play is on the air later tonight""looked at" vs "looked up to"