financial assistance
command
subsidy
accomplishment
factor

What is Your Callan Method?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Hello, has anybody of you ever heard about the term "Russisch Brot"? | Euthanasia
What is Your Callan Method? #16 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 0:02 am   What is Your Callan Method?

Inteach wrote:
Book 3 is almost entirely grammer - so it is dealt with. I am a qualified teacher with a B.Ed. CELTA and I run a Callan school.
Hi, what do you make of this: grammer vs. grammar? As for the Callan Method, I don't think anyone needs any particular 'method' to learn English. What you really need is the willingness to change your habits. A language is a like a sport: Only if you practice it on a regular basis do you have a chance to master it. Now, does the Callan Method 'teach' its users this basic and vital element? The Callan Method primarily works in countries where people are either not used to able to think of their own. If a person has access to authentic media content in English they can learn English because any person has the most brilliantly designed and effective language learning system within themselves. No need to use any additional external learning systems. Make sure you get constant exposure to the language and your subconscious will pick it up. Trust yourself and don't try to rely on teachers. The Callan Method is good for people who can't muster the self-discipline to expose themselves to useful and authentic content.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a campus patrolman

What is Your Callan Method? #17 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:36 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Torsten. I took a Celta course in July 2009 and it opened my eyes to aspects of language teaching.
1. Most adults want some quick solutions (often confidence and fluency, albeit basic.)
2. Most people are lazy and few will do homework / homestudy.
3. We learn our own language in the sequence: Listen, speak,read and write.
The Callan Method satisfies the above.
Most peoplet are unwilling / unable to change.
A language is like a sport - yes! This method by repetion of words phrases and concepts is highly efficient at teaching students to practice, however; I now inform my students they 'must do homework.'
If they attend 5 days a week it is not necessary, but only 2 days a week, then it is .
BTW I learnt a language to a high level of fluency and with a very large vocabulary, without ant lessons.
I have few regrets, and this is one, why on earth didn't I take the free lessons offered me and save myself years of hard work.
I agree with almost everything you say, I am simply more sceptical of human nature.
I have a library of books my students can borrow and I encourage them to listen to radio / TV, read everything they can find. I personaly began by reading all the street signs and adverts and watching childrens TV.
Inteach

Location: Milton Keynes

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is Your Callan Method? #18 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 15:25 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Inteach,

I read your answer and couldn't agree more.
This is my experience, too- most of people need a course and a teacher, they seek to get quickly some results, they don't want to do too much homework, in general- they don't have time! Additional learning resources such as TV, radio, Internet, books are of a great benefit but still remain additional to the course.

Now, going back to my project of starting a Callan school in France.
Here is the answer I got from callan.co.uk to my question "Why are there no Callan schools in France?"

"Hello Maria,
Thank you for your email and your interest in the Callan Method. I am sending you an attachment of our Terms and Conditions as this includes a list of our products and prices and information on how to pay for our goods. Its unfortunate that there are less schools in France than Poland, however we are happy to help with information if you wish to set up a school of your own."

And in the attachment I can only see the list of books I need to buy ;-).
No comment!
Mariados

What is Your Callan Method? #19 (permalink) Wed Mar 31, 2010 22:41 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Inteach wrote:

I agree with you -- most adults want quick solutions and that's the main reason why most adults are unhappy with the progress they are making (or rather not making) in English language classes.

Inteach wrote:

That's not exactly true. I think most people don't understand that it is almost impossible to learn a second a language in a classroom. Nobody ever tells them that they can learn English only if they expose themselves to the language on a daily basis when they are at home, at work, in their cars, in public transport, on holiday, in the cinema, etc. Doing traditional homework will only frustrate most adults and make them give up learning English rather sooner than later.

Inteach wrote:

That's right. However, you need to emphasize the fact that it is possible to learn to speak English by listening to correct English phrases and imitating native speakers. You don't necessarily need to read and write and every single word or phrase you hear and speak. That's how native speakers learn English: At the age of 5 to 6 they master about 80% of the English grammar having acquired a huge active vocabulary without being able to read and write.

Inteach wrote:
The Callan Method satisfies the above.Most peoplet are unwilling / unable to change.

If a person is unable or unwilling to change even the Callan Method won't help them. What the vast majority of all English learners don't know and/or understand is that they already have the best learning system inside them. If they spend money on language courses it's primarily because this financial commitment helps them improve their self-discipline. It's the same principle fitness clubs operate on. There isn't any exercise you can do in a gym that you can't do on your own at home. Most people acknowledge this but nevertheless they sign up for long term memberships in fitness clubs. They know that they that if they are in a room with other people they are more likely to work out than if they were at home on their own. In addition they put themselves under a certain level of psychological pressure by paying the monthly membership fee. That's exactly how any language school works no matter if it's the Callan Method, the Berlitz Method, the unique Wallstreet Institute Method or the Linguarama Method.

As you say, it's just human nature.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Examining lab samples

What is Your Callan Method? #20 (permalink) Thu Apr 01, 2010 19:40 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

I do think that a good "Direct Method" teacher can instill a degree of self discipline in the students. Callan is one of the Direct Method teaching systems. I emigrated to Denmark many years ago and submerged myself in the language and culture. After 10 years I could speak fluently and extensively in the language with barely a discernable accent, (sometimes they thought I was of Swedish extraction.) I never took a single lesson. It makes it easier for me to recognise the stages my students go through.
I think most 'Callan' teachers follow the process closely and perhaps do not work on the motivation and discipline side.
France. Mmm, not sure if the Psychology of the French lends itself to the Direct Method.
Mariados, where did you do your training? In Oxford Street?
That's where I did mine and I found the post course support flimsy at best. That is why I am here on this Forum.
Callan teachers do not seem to have a specific forum.
I started my own school from nothing.
Following the course I gave away 30 hours of free lessons to get some experience, (3 groups of 10 hours each.)
As soon as I asked for money, the students all disappeared. Was I that bad??
A lucky coincidence was the opening af a new Polish shop which carried my poster for 3 months without charge.
That started the ball rolling. 30 months later, I turn students away.
All you can do is start a school and see what happens.
Good Luck.
Inteach

Location: Milton Keynes

What is Your Callan Method? #21 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 18:37 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Inteach,

Thank you for the answer.
I really would like to understand the "phenomenon" of no Callan schools in France.
But as you're saying, one just needs to try and see what happens. And now, with my CELT course I learnt the Communicative Method, which is quite helpful, too and opened my eyes to other aspects of teaching. Although I would prefer teaching Callan (I still think this one has many advantages) I'm open to all kind of other teaching methods if they're efficient.
I learnt the Callan method in one of the Callan schools in Poland. Before, I used to use my own traditional method to teach English and French in Poland (now, with Callan and CELT I can see all the weaknesses of the latter ;-).
It was interesting to read about your free lessons. I think it was indeed a good way to start off, but from my experience, learners respect you more when you charge for the lesson ;-).
I had a similar experience as you did with the poster in the Polish shop. I also put one in 3 Polish shops, here in Ireland (in Cork). The success was great and I was teaching Callan for almost 2 years. I had to stop as my regular work required a lot of travelling so I wasn't able to teach on regular basis.
Do I understand well that you are Polish and you have your Callan school in England?
Mariados

What is Your Callan Method? #22 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 0:55 am   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Inteach, I think it's a 'phenomenon' that there actually are Callan schools outside of London. There must be a reason why in Germany which by far the largest ESL market in Europe there are just 4 schools that use the Callan Method. If the Callan Method were indeed effective and successful then surely more than 4 German schools would have adopted it after decades of its existence. Also, doesn't it strike you as odd that in the United States there are just two Callan schools? And why does Wikipedia make no mention whatsoever of the Callan Method?

The Callan Method works best in countries where people are used to be governed by an authoritative system with little personal freedom. Former socialist or communist countries are the ideal market place for the Callan Method. Here is a good quote regarding the Callan Method I found on the Internet: "The Callan Method is a product of its age, and since it has never been significantly updated or revised, will ultimately become a victim of its age."

TOEIC short conversations: A customer pays cash in a store

Re: Callan Method #23 (permalink) Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 am   Re: Callan Method

Hi Mariados, and thanks for your comments about the Callan Method.

Have you opened a school using the Callan Method? What was your experience??

I am thinking of doing the same here in Spain, and would be very interested in your insights.

Thanks!

Christopher
Christopher2012

What is Your Callan Method? #24 (permalink) Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:05 am   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Christopher,
I haven't opened any school in France. I decided to continue within my main professional area which is international sales in IT.
Thus I cannot share any experience on the subject. I wish you good luck!
BR,
Maria
Mariados

Goto page Previous  1, 2
What is written on this page?Ω - Tízezer lépés - Ten Thousand Paces (1969)ponxess.in problem: blocking youtube accessMaybe the US should fix their power grid?Do the Americans have their own language?Intangible Cultural Heritage - Question?!How do you deal with stress?Are herbal remedies safe?Mothers should stay at homeWhat do you think of Assisted Suicide? (Pros and Cons)Everything has a reasonKeygen for SoftwareIs culture bigger than Education?