a smooth surface (as of a bone or cut gemstone)
ecologist
facet
hierarchy
paragon

GREŽ essay: The function of science is to reassure; the purpose of art is to upset

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test
800score.com Is anyone familiar? | GREŽ essay: Who caused us to think and behave in the way we do?
GRE essay: The function of science is to reassure; the purpose of art is to upset #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 20:55 pm   GRE essay: The function of science is to reassure; the purpose of art is to upset

Present your perspective on the issue below, using relevant reasons and/or examples to support your views.

7. "The function of science is to reassure; the purpose of art is to upset. Therein lies the value of each."

My essay:

I partially agree with above statement. The values that were mentioned in relation to science and art are quite salient in our understanding of those subjects and to some extent illustrate accurately the purpose of two disciplines.However, those views reflect the general understanding of art and science held by majority of people who do not have firsthand experience with it. To regard science as reassuring and art as upsetting is the same as totally annihilating the essence of both for several reasons.
First of all, science was not considered as a panacea that provides easy and reliable solutions to humanity. Initially and to certain extent today, science has an ambitious and important goal to find truth in different areas of study whether it is biology or astronomy and does not have any aim to find easy solutions to reassure our previous beliefs. In fact , the discoveries done in the field of quantum physics have showed that possibility of existence of parallel worlds and question our mundane belief in linear model of time.
On the other hand, the art not only has the purpose of acting negatively on emotions creating inexplicable yearning in our souls, but also to edify and inspire us. For the most of the part, great works of art such a magnificent paintings by Renaissance masters such as Raphael, Da Vinci, Rubens are sought by people to change inspiration. Many people derive aesthetic pleasure from watching those magnificent works. In addition, art is also capable to edify about important social issues as well as provide a window into the human soul . Finally, works of art might a great starting point for questions regarding nature of this world that might be further pursued by science such as the nature of creativity for study in psychology to the question of perception and perspective for optics and physics.
To summarize, for general public those two values mentioned in the argument might appear suffice in understanding the value of art and science, however, when scrutinized two disciplines more closely there are more salient values that might come into focus that give more precise picture of two fields that explore the interchangeably explore the nature of the world for the opposite points of view.

:P
Isida

ESL Forums | Preparation forum for the GREŽ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
A new member: It's Mahima here from India. I am a new member in this GREŽ forum...How can I get confirmation number for the GREŽ score sending?Need a new study regimeGREŽ essay: The intellectual benefits of attending...Is factoring/special product rule for binomial squared/cubed on the GREŽ?How should I GREŽ prepare?Beginner needs for your support and help in GREŽ analytical sectionPBT GREŽGREŽ Essay ScoreGREŽ Word list from Big BookWhat books do you use for preparing for GREŽ?GREŽ verbalWhich grad school to apply? GREŽ preparation.