to bargain; to deal; to work out; to compromise; to clear or pass an obstacle
negotiate
familiarize
review
secure

I must admit you have tried but...

Proper English | "It's time" + subjunctive
I must admit you have tried but... #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 25, 2005 22:45 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Test No. incompl/inter-90 "Tenses", question 7

I must admit you ......... tried but I'm afraid the answer is still no.

(a) did
(b) will
(c) do
(d) have

Test No. incompl/inter-90 "Tenses", answer 7

I must admit you have tried but I'm afraid the answer is still no.

Correct answer: (d) have

I must admit you did tried but I'm afraid the answer is still no.
_________________________

why?
mina

Did/have #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:35 am   Did/have

It must be have because this is the Present Perfect. After did you must have the infinitive.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I must admit you have tried but... #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 17:00 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Hallo.
How about a situation, when 'do' has a meaning of 'really'. For example: I do love you.
Could it be said - You did tried - Meaning, that he 'Really' tried?
Ryoga

I must admit you have tried but... #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 17:13 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Hi Ryoga

No, when you want to emphasize that someone really tried by using "did" in an affirmative sentence, you have to change "tried" to the infinitive:

You really did try!

As Alan said, you must use "did" with the infinitive.

_________________

I must admit you have tried but... #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 02, 2006 17:24 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Ok, thank you.
Ryoga

I must admit you have tried but... #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 19:37 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Hmmm.... "I do love you" is not the same at all as "I really love you" I really love you means I love you a lot and I do love you is simply a statement with no emphasis on a little or a lot. Really is sometimes interchanged with "truly". I see the statement "I do love you" as possibly being a lie thus I wouldn't categorize it with other words that overly emphasize truthfulness.

Some helpful examples on the "did tried" thing.

You did try
You tried
You are trying
You have tried
You will try
Oomniguy

Location: Sevastopol

I must admit you have tried but... #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 05, 2006 20:00 pm   I must admit you have tried but...

Hey oomniguy

If you want to get technical, then you've got to admit that "I love you" is also sometimes a lie. Really!
(Hmmmm... now why did I write really there? Did I mean "a lot" or did I mean "truthfully" or did I just want to emphasize? Who knows...:lol:)

Truthfully yours,
_________________

How to use rise and raise?Meaning of trialingWhy is "must admit to being" gramatically right?Why we didn't use DID instead?Meaning of "had a cow"Meaning of "ago"I am confused with BUT and ORThe word "people"Worth considering and worth of considerationRelative pronouns: who and thatSimple past vs. past perfect (asked vs. had asked)Expression: to be through with somebodyWant an icecream