to make a stupid mistake; to move back and forth in a clumsy manner
stipulate
blunder
level
aid

A date is usually a private meeting with another person

we satŪ in the sun | I was watching TV when I heard the glass break
A date is usually a private meeting with another person #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2005 19:04 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

Test No. incompl/elem-18 "Making an Appointment", question 8

Another word that is very similar in meaning to appointment is the word date. A date is usually a private meeting with ......... person.

(a) different
(b) second
(c) other
(d) another

Test No. incompl/elem-18 "Making an Appointment", answer 8

Another word that is very similar in meaning to appointment is the word date. A date is usually a private meeting with another person.

Correct answer: (d) another
_________________________

what is right in this thing please help me i m recently come from india so this site is very help ful for me thankx.
sheetal patel

Right answer #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 27, 2005 19:19 pm   Right answer

The right answer is d) another.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Right answer #3 (permalink) Fri May 06, 2005 5:48 am   Right answer

i am sorry,but why can not i use the word @different@ :cry:

Different #4 (permalink) Fri May 06, 2005 8:34 am   Different

You can't use different here because it would have to be A different and that's not what I wrote for this sentence.
_________________

Other or another? #5 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:39 am   Other or another?

Dear Alan and friends,

Regarding this lesson, I've still got one question to ask. How can we distinguish "other' and "another? How to make use of them?

That's all and I'm looking forward to knowing from you.Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Made Sariada
Made Sariada

Location: Bali, Indonesia

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #6 (permalink) Sat Jul 11, 2009 19:00 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

why not: with second person?
thanks.

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #7 (permalink) Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:21 am   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

Why can`t we say other?

Many thanks for your clear answer :-)
Dina27

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #8 (permalink) Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:31 am   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

Hello Dina,

If you used 'other' in that test sentence, you would have to say 'others'. 'Other' is usually with 'the' or a possessive adjective for singular nouns as in:

Use your other hand to hold the machine. You have to drive your car on the other side of the road.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #9 (permalink) Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:50 am   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

If I understand we can say the other person because other can`t use without an article before the singular noun. Interesting point.
Dina27

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #10 (permalink) Tue Sep 14, 2010 15:01 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

why we can't use other
Sruj

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #11 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 19:58 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

why can't I use 'Different' ???
It was so confusing with 'Another' and 'Different'
I thought for almost 3 min on it....But at the end, I choose the wrong option...........
!!!(disappointed)
:-(((((
Shopgirl

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #12 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:21 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

Shopgirl wrote:
why can't I use 'Different' ???
!!!(disappointed)
:-(((((

Actually, Alan has already explained it here:

_________________

A date is usually a private meeting with another person #13 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:47 pm   A date is usually a private meeting with another person

EWE,
I get your point. thanx indeed.
I will try to start thinking in your way
Shopgirl

They promised to doI got a sunburnDrag on???Confirmation emailI heard he got a promotion at the Business News./catch upcorrectI can't wait to move out of this house...What kind of a sponge can be found in the ocean? What does it mean?What does the phrase "off the boat" mean?lurch vs straymeaning of vacillatinga special drink vs. a specialised drink"I'll show" versus "I'll see"