Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to contemplate again
reconsider
funnel
box
clear
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished.

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I made my passport release. vs I released my passport. | Season Greetings
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished. #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 24, 2008 13:58 pm   Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished.

First, my thanks to All the people here, for their help.
Specifically "Yankee".

My apologies, if I again asking same sort of question. I sometimes get confused.

This job/work is finished.
This job/work has been finished.

As per my understanding:
This job/work is finished = Tells the STATE of the job.
This job/work has been finished = Tells somebody (some person) has finished the job.
Is my understading correct?

What is the difference between - Affect and Effect?

Over time = Gradully (is this correct?)
Over time, he will learn it = Gradually (on a day by day basis, he will learn English)

"Am I not supposed to modify this file?" - Is this correct sentence.

Thanks,Suresh
Sureshvemuri
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished. #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 24, 2008 16:14 pm   Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished.

Hi Suresh

Quote:
As per my understanding:
This job/work is finished = Tells the STATE of the job.
This job/work has been finished = Tells somebody (some person) has finished the job.
Is my understanding correct?
Yes, I'd say you've got the correct sense for the difference there, Suresh.

For the difference between "affect" and "effect", take a look at these threads:
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic12830.html#36429
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic26551.html#93806
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic4853.html#12467
Quote:
Over time = Gradually (is this correct?)
Over time, he will learn it = Gradually (on a day by day basis, he will learn English)
Yes, gradually is a pretty good interpretation. "Over time" suggests a period of time that is longer than just a few days or weeks.

Quote:
"Am I not supposed to modify this file?" - Is this a correct sentence?
Yes, that sentence can be used when you originally believed that you were supposed to modify the file and now there is some kind of doubt about that. You are basically asking for clarification of what you are supposed to do.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished. #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:00 am   Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished.

Thanks Yankee for "your spending time" here for giving answers for FREE.

Suresh
Sureshvemuri
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished. #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:36 am   Difference between -It is finished- It has been finished.

You're very welcome, Suresh.

I made my passport release. vs I released my passport. | Season Greetings
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Essay: What the United States flag stands for?Mistakes: What should I say? Maybe that I love my life, because...Present Simple Tense: BahromIt was a good decision to have been to San FranciscoWhat is the meaning of "one first hand"?meaning of "press their advantages"Next Week?Not born United States citizens?Differential properties of 'nearly' and 'almost' in the English languageGetting down to brass tacks?Any difference between onus and responsibility?Simple Present Tense - some confused examplesMeaning of 'die hard'