something that is superimposed
leave
expense
entry
overlap

What is modifier subject?

Grammar check | How can I learn English grammar?
What is modifier subject? #1 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 7:49 am   What is modifier subject?

Dear Torsten,

Hi again! I want to know that what is modifier subject? I have read in book that " we should aviod using a verb that agrees with the modifiers of a subject instead of with the subject itself " Example: His knowledge of languages and international relations aids him in his work. please exaplain in detail.

Smita
Smita

Modifiers #2 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 12:47 pm   Modifiers

Modifiers in relation to nouns are divided into two types: premodifiers and postmodifiers. All that means is that the pre ones add extra information (for example adjectives) before the noun or subject and the post ones add this extra information after the noun or subject. Let me give you an example:

The traditional solid politician from a family of enthusiastic and public spirited relatives knows exactly how to present a good argument.

The subject noun POLITICIAN has traditional solid as the premodifier and from a family of public spirited relatives as the post modifier.

In cases like these the point to remember is that the subject POLITICIAN is still a singular one and therefore needs a singular verb although the subject has modifiers attached to it both before and after it.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Why vs becauseIn the face of agePlease explain how to use collective nouns (singular or plural?) Thanks!'two and two are four' vs. 'two and two is four' -- What's correct?Grammar check *please ignore my previous postPut a dollar in the jarWhat does 'I don't get it' mean?What does it mean?A grammar questionWhat's the word for the skin on a hot liquid when it cools?Help please! :(Could you please explain the 'going to future' to me? Thanks. PJmeaning of "Soldiers in gear"