to come near to; to tackle (a problem or situation)
approach
grasp
conjure
enter

Meaning of obligation

What does 'poverty' mean? | difference between satisfactory and satisfied?
Meaning of obligation #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 am   Meaning of obligation

ESL/EFL Test #709 "Time of the Year", question 9

A: There's no ......... to feel like that. Just remember that Christmas will be here soon.

(a) requirement
(b) obligation
(c) need
(d) duty

ESL/EFL Test #709 "Time of the Year", answer 9

A: There's no need to feel like that. Just remember that Christmas will be here soon.

Correct answer: (c) need
_________________________

obligation? Why not?

Yukos
Yukos

Meaning of obligation #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 am   Meaning of obligation

'Obligation' would be too strong a word in this sentence because it means having to do something as a result of a commitment you have made or a duty you have yo fulfill. 'There's no need' is a common expression suggesting 'don't worry about it'.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
what is the meaning of gambling?What is drama?'we have that out of the way' vs 'we have that set of the way'"My friend likes to work" vs "My friend likes the work"Why are crisis usually uncertain situations?What does 'her cup of tea' mean?What is the meaning of the expressions "on the squids"?difference between while and duringpleased with him vs. pleased with himselfWhat does 'absolute bliss' mean?Rubbish vs. litterWhat are the three categories of Torts?We don't have this. vs We can re-order it for you.