Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to come near to; to tackle (a problem or situation)
approach
grasp
conjure
enter
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of obligation

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'poverty' mean? | difference between satisfactory and satisfied?
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of obligation #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 am   Meaning of obligation

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #709 "Time of the Year", question 9

A: There's no ......... to feel like that. Just remember that Christmas will be here soon.

(a) requirement
(b) obligation
(c) need
(d) duty

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #709 "Time of the Year", answer 9

A: There's no need to feel like that. Just remember that Christmas will be here soon.

Correct answer: (c) need

obligation? Why not?

Yukos
Yukos

Meaning of obligation #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 am   Meaning of obligation

Hi,

'Obligation' would be too strong a word in this sentence because it means having to do something as a result of a commitment you have made or a duty you have yo fulfill. 'There's no need' is a common expression suggesting 'don't worry about it'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'poverty' mean? | difference between satisfactory and satisfied?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what is the meaning of gambling?What is drama?'we have that out of the way' vs 'we have that set of the way'"My friend likes to work" vs "My friend likes the work"Why are crisis usually uncertain situations?What does 'her cup of tea' mean?What is the meaning of the expressions "on the squids"?difference between while and duringpleased with him vs. pleased with himselfWhat does 'absolute bliss' mean?Rubbish vs. litterWhat are the three categories of Torts?We don't have this. vs We can re-order it for you.