Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

terrible; awful; disgusting
horrible
crowded
characteristic
feasible
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of janitorial

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is 'clear title'? | Why said insted of told?
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning of janitorial #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:57 am   meaning of janitorial

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #706 "English Slang Idioms (448)", question 2

"Have you talked to the janitorial staff about the poor job they've been doing in the restrooms?" Elliot asked. Jay responded, "Yes, I took them to ......... about that this morning."

(a) task
(b) work
(c) jail
(d) chore

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #706 "English Slang Idioms (448)", answer 2

"Have you talked to the janitorial staff about the poor job they've been doing in the restrooms?" Elliot asked. Jay responded, "Yes, I took them to task about that this morning."

Correct answer: (a) task

what's janitorial?

Emma
Emma

meaning of janitorial #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:14 pm   meaning of janitorial

The janitorial staff or janitors are the caretakers, that is, the people who look after a school or college, for example.
Conchita
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of janitorial #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 17, 2009 18:16 pm   meaning of janitorial

it's not quite clear. are they cleaners? or otherwise?
Smartari
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of janitorial #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 19:37 pm   meaning of janitorial

"I took them to task about that" means I requested explanations from them, or I put them to do the job again?

Thanks.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

meaning of janitorial #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:51 am   meaning of janitorial

For those who might have the same query:

take to task : to call to account for a shortcoming, criticize
take somebody to task: to scold or reprimand someone, to criticize someone angrily for something that they have done (often + for)
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

What is 'clear title'? | Why said insted of told?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "Time consuming"What does the "staffing efforts" mean?Why is it called as cellular telephone?Difference between 'I'll see if I can help' and 'I'll look if I can help'What does 'put off' mean?Overhead levelled off?What does read him like a book mean?Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What does hand in mean?What is an old windsock?sterile vs fertileWhat does hooked up mean?What does morals mean?