to belittle; to speak slightingly of; to reduce the value or cost; to disparage
abet
depreciate
retrieve
fathom

TOEFLŽ essay: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences

ESL Forum | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŽ Test and essay samples collection
TOEFLŽ essay: People have various ways of relieving stress | Some tips of the reading pattern of TOEFLŽ exam
TOEFL essay: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 15:00 pm   TOEFL essay: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences

Dear teacher,
My name is Rocky. I am currently preparing for an ielts test in December and need to obtain 7 or higher in writing. Could you please check the following essay for me and give me some advice? Time is really pushing...

Topic: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences. Only governmental actions can solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

During recent years the housing problem has greatly captured the public’s attention. An up-to-date survey revealed that around 46% of the respondents between 25 and 35 years old found it extremely difficult to buy a house. Sociologists, lawyers, civil representatives etc. have been arguing whether governmental actions are the only solution to the issue. This essay attempts to briefly introduce opinions from both sides of the argument.

The proponents firmly believe that only the government can settle this problem primarily because all real estate companies are profit-oriented. This implies that whenever there is potential profitability, these firms, whether ethical or not, will take advantage of all possible means to push housing prices to new highs, making it increasingly difficult and even impossible for the prospects to afford a home. Secondly and most importantly, the government, as the policy maker, is the governing power of a society meanwhile the official means of ensuring social well being. Henceforth, under no circumstances except with the government’s authorities can the majority of civilians secure a property.

The opponents, however, refuse to agree with this. From the economic perspective, resources, fundamentally, are supposed to be allocated by the “invisible hand”- the market. Therefore, the housing issue initially, ought to be taken care of by market principles. From the personal angle, there is an absolute necessity for one to save money if they intend to become a house owner. Less costly alternatives like renting an apartment and living with parents at a younger age are considered rational choices. Finally, for the benefit and stability of society as a whole, the government may implement effective measures to assure the majority of citizens an adobe.

Personally speaking, I am strongly convinced that governmental actions are not the only solution to the housing problem. For a properly working society, it is essential to have multi-level agencies, whether official or civil, to tackle issues.

I am looking forward to receiving your comments. Thanks in advance!

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a science class
Rockyhan

TOEFL essay: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:41 am   TOEFL essay: Housing shortage in big cities can cause severe consequences

Can anyone help me, please?
Rockyhan

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
ESL Forum | Preparation for and help with the TOEFLŽ Test and essay samples collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
TOEFLŽ essay: Do you support/oppose building a new factory near your community?TOEFLŽ writing topic: It would be better to take the most challenging subject...TOEFLŽ essay: Games are as important for adults as they are for children?TOEFLŽ essay: It is sometimes said that borrowing money from a friend can harm...TOEFLŽ essay: The most important aspect of a job in the money a person earnsTOEFLŽ Essay: Do you prefer watching movies alone at home or with friends outdoorTOEFLŽ essay: Do you agree with progress is always good?TOEFLŽ essay: Telecommuting is becoming more and more commonTOEFLŽ essay: Are you organized or not?TOEFLŽ IBT and TOEFLŽ paper testTOEFLŽ Rescoring?TOEFLŽ essay: Never, never give up?Topics for the TOEFLŽ iBT writing